Effing Feline’s mailbag #wewriwa

Every week I, Effing Feline, give the followers of my weekly blog the incalculable benefits of my wisdom. Now it’s your turn. I’ll tell you about it after this word from my sponsor, The Saint of Quarantine Island.

Kendo Carlisle, the Saint of Gilford Island, responds to Janet’s striptease.

“There’s something you should know about me.” His voice was a ghostly whisper, scarcely audible over the pounding of her heart.

She couldn’t answer. After her outlandish behavior, she no longer had the right to speak to a man such as him.

“I…” He paused, licked his lips then looked away from her face.

Whatever he was about to say about himself must be disgraceful…horrible…maybe illegal.

“I didn’t kill my wife.” His composure crumpled. His face contorted as he let out a low moan. Shaking with silent sobs, he wrapped his arms around her, his hands hot on her bare flesh, though they remained on her back above the waist.

I hate to burden you with too much reading (there are a lot more snippets to get to), but here are a few more.

After a long, awkward moment, she hugged him back. Could she have heard him right? He was upset because he hadn’t killed his wife?

Had Gilford turned him insane, too?

Effing Feline here again. This week, in addition to being able to comment on my pet human’s writing, you can, for the first time ask me a question. So go ahead, fire away. I’m a big cat, I can take it.

Be sure to visit the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

The Saint of Quarantine Island

Instead of the usual blurb, here is an excerpt from a new review of this book from Ind’Tale Magazine.

An intense work, “The Saint of Quarantine Island” is a sci-fi/psychological drama featuring stellar writing with diverse themes, powerful emotions, and complex characters. As a technical work, this book is incredibly well-written. The flow, character development, world-building, emotions and more will thoroughly engross the reader from beginning to end

1. This is my first blurb for this novel. What does he know about his wife or her killer that would make him insane, or at least hysterical? “Insane, too”? Who else is insane? Why does Janet care. Things I must investigate.

And also, hey Effing! Long time, no read! ❤

1. Ed Judi Hoornaert · · Reply

For your sake, I chose a bad week to omit the book’s blurb!

2. That’s a good thing, right?

1. One would think so, yes.

Sounds like there’s a lot more to explain about his wife.

And for Effing, what’s your favourite season?

1. Yes, there’s more to explain. I always try to set up little mysteries along the way.

1. Effing says his favorite season used to be winter because then the radiators are nice and toasty warm. Our house has no radiators, though, so I have absolutely no idea how he’s heard of them.

Sounds like more to find out! intriguing!

1. Imagine having to explain why you DIDN’T kill your spouse.

5. That was . . . unexpected. But then Ed is the master of the unexpected, so I guess should have expected it??

Effing, what do you do when your human sits in front of computer all day instead of playing with you? (asking for a furry friend)

1. Your cat’s question took Effing by surprise. He says to ask your cat what the heck claws are for.

6. A startling statement that raises a plethora of new questions. Great way to keep us reading, Ed!

Effing–What is your favorite flavor of cat treat?

1. Salmon. Definitely salmon.
      To be more precise, Pacific salmon, wild caught, never frozen.

7. Let me get this straight, it’s insane to not kill your wife? Or is there some truth here we havent heard about?

1. Well, I’m a guy, so maybe I have a different perspective on these things.

Just kidding!

There’s a story behind this particular refusal to kill. And it’s not the refusal to kill that’s crazy, but being so upset about it.

Nice. They’re both broken and can start piecing each other back together. Question for Effing – Fleas. My trio have them (disgusting, right!). Any tips on this problem? I’m scratching my head. Yeah, I really am!

1. Yeah, I needed some way for him to be broken. In early drafts, he did kill his wife, but that too everyday — to say nothing of a saint. And while he may not be a saint, he’s a very moral guy. It took a bit of doing to make sense of this confession but I think (hope!) I succeeded.

1. Re: fleas. Effing has nothing to offer but a hiss at the very thought of fleas. A cat of his quality, he says, is immune to fleas.

9. And another wild twist! I liked her reaction though – great snippet1

1. His unusual problem lifted her right out of her own predicament.

10. This is a good scene! Her filling up with self-doubt, and dread. Nice writing, Ed!

Effings–what are you dressing up as for Halloween? Do you have a Twiggles costume? 😉

1. Effing’s costume is a witch’s familiar, what else?

11. This does seem an unusual reaction to not killing one’s spouse.
    ~Cie from Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost~

1. That’s because there’s a story behind it!

12. So does this mean his wife is alive, or that someone else killed her?

And Effing, I was wondering what is your take on Halloween? Are you a fan or do you hide away until it’s over?

1. One other possibility, since this book co-stars a new virus — she died of disease

Effing dislikes it, but not for any of the reasons you and I have given. Trick or treaters coming to the door disturb his naps.

13. LOL – how his hands “managed to remain above her waist”.

1. Ed Judi Hoornaert · · Reply

Of course his hands stayed above her waist. He is, after all, a ‘saint.’

Can’t wait to hear more about the wife and her death.

1. Love this reaction of yours!

15. Hey Effing – I just finished reading this. What are the chances you can convince your human to write a sequel about Billy and Grace?

1. Ed Judi Hoornaert · · Reply

Well, I’m currently working on a trilogy. I’m more than half done, but that’ll keep me busy for awhile. After that, who knows.