Effing Feline demands triple pay #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, am NOT purring. Definitely not.

Why not? Because I’ve been told — not asked, mind you, told — that  today’s post must serve four three purposes:

1. Reveal the official new name of Ed’s newest Work in Progress (WIP).
  2. Present the next snippet from Ed’s WIP.
  3. Reveal the book’s cover.

There would’ve been an item #4, “introduce buy links for the book’s presale,” but thankfully the folks at Amazon et al. are slower than usual, so no links yet. They’re taking a nap, I imagine. I know I want to.

#1 — Official new title. Never Saw a Purple Cow is now called The Saint of Quarantine Island. Gotta stuck in a timely keyword like quarantine for marketing purposes, ya know . . . though it truly is appropriate.

You see, Janet’s love interest, Kendo Carlisle, was featured in a TV documentary about his volunteer work, helping the wretched quarantinees. It was called The Saint of Gilford Island, and since Gilford is the quarantine site, the book’s title fits.

#2 — New snippet. We’ve already met foulmouthed Billy Seaweed, a fourteen-year-old First Nations resident of the island, which is filled with people who  periodically run mad because of Fireworks, the disease caused by the novel virus.

Fireworks is sort of like Bipolar Disorder. Billy is in a manic phase, filled with mania’s energy while standing atop a cliff. He’s distracted by a supply boat arriving two days early, which means it’s smuggling in a new immigrant whose things Billy would like to ‘borrow’.

(The picture above shows Billy’s actual cliff. Ed lived on Gilford Island a looong time ago, when years were labelled B.C. (Before Cat). He liked to watch bald eagles at their cliff-top nest. The book is set in real places on this wilderness island, though he fictionalized them whenever the mood struck him.)

Just concentrate and bottle up the whizzing unrest churning through his body. Concentrate and then boom — yeah!

Boom,

Boom,

Boom, he could fly!

But . . . the supply boat, two days early?

“Concentrate, damn it!” Billy’s fingers writhed at his side. He wanted to laugh from the fucking energy and at the same time cry because he was losing the battle to bottle it. Beatle t’battle t’bottle t’boodle . . .

“You stupid fucker,” he shouted at himself, “concentrate!”

Effing Feline here again. Ed is so hissing mean to me. Here I am, doing three things for him — but do I get triple pay? No way! I’m tempted not to continue with item three, but I want to maintain my reputation for being calm and easygoing. I know that’s how all of you think of me. and I don’t want to disappoint you.

#3 So here’s the blasted cover (grumble hiss snark):

Be sure to visit the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

News flash — And terrible news it is. I have to do #4 after all, because a couple of retailers came through and got the book up for pre-order. Here are the stupid links. (Hiss garfle meow mutter)

Ed’s working my paws to the bone. Tell him to stop it, please!

You show his state of mind really well! And it’s a lovely cover!

1. I’ve been told that I write crazy people very well — but that says nothing about me personally, of course.

2. Love the name–and the cover. 🙂

I am intrigued by this foul-mouthed teenager. lol He does sound half-crazy.

Poor, poor Effing… Why are you so mean to him, Ed???

1. I hope other people have similar reactions to the name and cover. As for Billy, when I was doing rewrites after letting this sit for a few years, I was fairly impressed at what a well rounded character he was.

3. I didn’t realize Gilford Island was a real place, or that you’d lived there. No wonder you depict it so vividly.

But what will the real world inhabitants think, having it turned into a quarantine locale for crazy folk? ;^)

1. About the real inhabitants . . .

Well, Gilford is wilderness with extremely rugged terrain. As far as the Internet knows, 10 people live at Echo Bay, which is where most of the action takes place. At the secondary sites, Wahkana Bay has zero and Gwayasdums Village, 70. There are a few other settlements, but nothing that resembles a town.

This on an island that would be fourth largest oceanic island in the whole lower 48 states!

What wonderfully manic thoughts! You can feel him cycling madly. And what a beautiful place, Ed! Lucky you.

I feel your frustrations with getting things up on Amazon. Had that delightful go round this morning myself. Congrats on beating the system!

1. Actually, I’m quite sympathetic to whatever issues are holding up getting books posted. These are hard times for all of us.

5. Sometimes it is so hard to concentrate.
    B.C. – before cat – lol

1. If you stop and think about it, the REAL definition of prehistory is “before I was born.”

You really depict his manic mind well. I’ll bet you had fun writing him. Love the cover and new name. Got mine preordered. Poor Effing. So overworked with no extra pay. Do you actually pay your cat??? 🙂 Have a great week.

1. Of course I pay Effing. He just doesn’t realize it’s Monopoly money. Thanks, Diane!

7. That’s a very accurate depiction of what it’s like to have a manic state, not that I’d know from personal experience. The monkey mind is working overtime.

1. I ran some of the manic and depressive scenes by a friend of mine who is Bipolar.

8. I definitely felt drawn into his ‘crazy’ by your vivid description! Great snippet…

1. Do you feel your mind and rationality slipping away from you?

9. I was totally immersed in his craziness – not a comfortable place to be!

1. Since you’re a BC resident — this is the second book I’ve written set in British Columbia. Not in a part of the province you’re likely familiar with, though. The mid-coast, off the northern end of Vancouver Island.

10. Really wonderful in every way!

1. Good. I hope you’re “crazy” about it.

11. Truly, Effing, you are a saint for putting up with Ed’s demands. The only thing I ask of my cats is that they don’t eat my face off while I sleep.

Billy is awesome. Hard to imagine him pulling off a heist, but I suppose he has his calm periods.

1. Effing, a saint? Uh, the saint in the book’s title, The Saint of Quarantine Island, is definitely NOT Effing.

12. I love the vividness of this scene, great snippet! The new title is great! I also didn’t realize you used to live there and it’s a real location. This place must have meant a lot to you to include it as a setting in your work.

1. I lived on Gilford ages ago. B.C, in fact. This is the second book I’ve set on the island. The other was a Silhouette contemporary romance, Nobody’s Bride.

13. This stream of consciousness section does give us a window into his mind very vividly. Well done! I love the new title and the new cover! Effing did a fine job for you today, Ed. 🙂 You should up his pay at least a little.

1. Okay, okay, Jenna. One extra piece of kibble for Effing!

Wow, so many goodies today! I love the new title and agree that it’s very timely. You might want to increase Effing’s pay just a smidge when it becomes a bestseller. 😉

1. If it becomes a bestseller, I’ll be able to increase Effing’s pay.

I like the cover

1. I feel I managed to accomplish what I set out to do with the cover. Whether that’s the right thing for an alluring cover open for debate.

16. You show him sinking into madness so well.
    Great title!

1. This title is a lot better than “Never Saw a Purple Cow,” which tells you nothing about the book.

17. Nice cover. Good luck with sales. I loved your snippet. Kept me intrigued.

Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

1. Thanks, Yawatta, I’ll take all the sales luck I can get. I haven’t really had much for the last three books.

1. We’ve all been there. It gets better. I didn’t start seeing better sales until I left KDP to go wide. I don’t write fast enough to stay current on Amazon.

Keep smiling,
        Yawatta

You depicted his manic phase very well.

1. Soon, he’ll demonstrate another trait of mania: impulsive decision making.

19. LOL, no idea what the snippet was about but it was funny to read.
    Love the pic of the island !

1. The boy is in the grip of a manic phase.

20. Concentrate. Concentrate so he can get the job done of finding the things he needs to “borrow” from the unsuspecting new arrival. Great snippet and you two work great together. Just don’t forget the little people when the sales come in.

1. ‘Little people’ . . . does that me you’ve heard that my dad played semipro basketball as a center?