Effing Feline wishes you Mother’s Day #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, interrupt my regularly scheduled snippets from Ed’s WIP, Never Saw a Purple Cow, to bring you a Mother’s Day special.

Today’s snippet is from Ed’s science fiction romance, Constellation XXI, which features a rather unique first contact with aliens. You see, one of the aliens is pregnant.

Very pregnant.

As in RIGHT NOW!

And Sienna Dukelsky, pilot of an out-of-control tugship (the space station equivalent of a tugboat), is the only female available to help with the birth. Background info — Chip is the book’s love interest, who smuggled the aliens onto Sienna’s ship. Geronimo is the nickname Chip has given the telepathic daddy.

“Oh, look!” A tiny red ‘puppy’ washed out with the blood and nearly shot past Sienna — but to her relief, she caught the squirming, hand-sized bundle of slipperiness. “It has a tail. Look, Chip, it has a tail.”

Birth comes, Geronimo thought in her head. What sex?

“No idea,” she answered, “but it has the cutest, thickest little tail I’ve ever seen.”

Male. Geronimo sounded wistful, making her wonder first if he’d hoped for a girl — and second, how well endowed Daddy was.

She scooped up the puppy and cradled it gently. It was a tiny little miracle, the miracle of life in a cosmos ruled by danger, entropy and decay, and she, Sienna Dukelsky had helped.

Effing Feline here again. Do I have a deal for you! 75% off Constellation XXI at Ed’s new online bookstore. (Be sure to bookmark it)

Am I a great cat or what?

• Here’s the link to Constellation XXI on Ed’s bookstore
  • And here’s the coupon code: SE5HV6K4S0

Hip hip meow to all you mums out there!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled snippets — next week, that is. Be sure to visit the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Constellation XXI

constellation_xxi_600x900

Rediscovering Love at the Worst Possible Time

Although Sienna Dukelsky had been the most promising student pilot at Keening AstroSpace Academy, she inexplicably settles for a routine, unglamorous job guiding incoming spaceships to safe berths at Farflung Space Station. Rumors blamed her odd decision on heartbreak after Crispin Hunt, the love of her life, got expelled.

Approaching Farflung, Crispin’s freighter is greeted by Sienna’s tugship. Love almost rekindles, but is threatened by old betrayals. And when her ship loses power while aimed straight at the space station, Sienna must confront astonishing secrets about Crispin and his cargo—secrets that make hers the most important job in the whole galaxy.

Constellation XXI, Edward Hoornaert’s romantic space opera, continues the saga of the Dukelsky family begun in The Guardian Angel of Farflung Station and Escapee.

Again, here’s the link to Ed’s bookstore, and here’s the coupon code: SE5HV6K4S0

Sounds like an interesting alien species.

1. I couldn’t think of a story in which human-alien contact was smoothed by helping out at an alien birth. So I had to write the story myself.

2. Nothing like a life to make you smile.

1. And hopefully reading about it will also bring a smile.

3. Cara Hartley · · Reply

Looks like you really have to bring your “A” game to be a midwife for that species!
    ~Cie from Naughty Netherworld Press~

1. You need good baseball catching skills, too.

4. Oh my god! That was hilarious!!!! Thanks for sharing this snippet, Ed. 🙂

1. I had my heroine talking about get read to ‘catch’ the alien baby — and then I found out from my daughter in law that this is terminology real midwives use.

5. Happy Mom’s Day! Thanks for the snippet!

1. Thanks. I’ll, uh, pass your Mothers Day wishes on to my wife and the mother of my four children.

1. Uh . . . not AND the mother of my children. My wife is the mother. Really, she is! Please believe me!
        (And don’t tell her about this conversation!)

6. Interesting snippet. As for children, I had 4. The 2 younger ones are the best ever. Happy Mother’s Day.

1. You deserve a great Mother’s Day, then, Charmaine.

I love that final line. It tells so much about her character, this place, and gives us a little taste of what’s to come. Great work! 🙂

1. A character in another book of mine expresses the same sentiment. Clearly, then, that line says something about me, as well.

Nice catch! And nice snippet for this Mother’s Day. We can certainly appreciate having those steady hands at the ready!

1. Yes — here’s a shout for all the obstetrical nurses, obstetricians, and midwives out there.

9. Thanks, Effing! Perfect choice for mama’s day. 🙂

The slippery puppy. I thought Effing might comment that it should have been a slippery kitten.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Now I’m wondering if I left a review?? Making a note to check that.

1. Yes — definitely check that!

10. This is all kinds of interesting. So many questions!

1. In going back over this book, I wonder if there isn’t maybe too much going on in this scene. In addition to the alien birth in the snippet, there is 1) Sienna discovering alien physiology 2) Sienna trying to confess that seven years ago she betrayed Crispin (not sexually) 3) worry about regaining control of her ship before it crashing into a city-sized space station 4) a rule-bound marine determined to arrest Crispin.

11. Quite an exciting birth altogether. Good thing Sienna’s a good fielder! Thank you Ed and Effing for this Mother’s Day snippet!

1. There are two more ‘puppies’ on the way in later paragraphs.

Thank you for the mothers day snippet!

1. You’re welcome. I hope you’ve had a good day despite social distancing.

13. Without the context of the book or the species, I am wondering what this “tail” actually is… It reminds me of my niece seeing my wife change one of our boys many years ago. She said he had a tail.

1. There is no more context for the tail. It’s just a throwaway detail that seemed neat and memorable. Sorry, Jeff!

I loved this book, Ed. This is a great scene. Wishing your wife a Happy Mother’s Day.

1. That means a lot to me, Diane, so thanks!

I love her thoughts about the baby there at the end. This was a nice scene.

1. A birth should be nice, right?

16. Nice snippet. I loved your last line. It was poetic.

Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

1. Thanks, Yawatta. However, a poet I am definitely not.

17. I liked the snippet, perfect for Mother’s Day … hope your wife (and you!) had a lovely day.

1. Judi said it was a great day, despite seeing only one of her children in person, daughter Beth who lives with us and her two boys aged 6 and 3.

18. I thought we were getting inside information about the heroine. You surprised me in a good way. Nice snippet, Ed. Thanks for the Mother’s Day wish, Effing and Ed. Passing the same on to your wife though a little late.

1. I glad it was a good surprise, Mary!

1. An alien baby is one thing you do NOT want to drop.