Effing Feline just wants to sleep #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, want to sleep. And when I want to sleep, I sleep, know what I mean? After all, I’m a cat. But today I can’t sleep because I have a blog post due, hiss the $#^!* thing.

So here it is, quick and dirty. Read silently, don’t even move your lips, because I’m going to be napping!

The heroine of Galactic Enemy, currently calling herself “Lou,” knocks out a guy she thinks is an intruder, then discovers he’s an innocent (and seriously ill) new roommate. He has taken a sleeping pill and she’s been vaccinated against his disease, so Lou has the courage to crawl under the covers with him, prepared to bolt at the first sign of him waking up . . .  or so she thinks.

Lou floated to awareness. She was warm—she knew that much, but not much else. It was a bone-deep warmth, syrupy and relaxed, and she hadn’t felt cozy like this in far too long.

She yawned, and after a moment, opened her eyes. She was on her back with her head turned toward a man.

A man?

Her cheek snuggled into the hollow of his shoulder. His arm was flung across her chest and belly to cradle her hip with a large, overly intimate hand. She froze; stopped breathing, even.

Had he…?

Had they…?

Effing Feline here again. I feel much better now that I’ve had my nap. I don’t understand why this woman wakes up so confused. I NEVER wake up confused. Hungry, yes. Confused, no.

Be sure to visit the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Love thy Galactic Enemy

Abandoned to the enemy’s tender mercy

Minta Streave, the naive secretary for a spy team that spread a man-made plague, leaves the planet too late — the team abandons her on the enemy’s space station. She’s must fend for herself until she can contact an elusive spy, Watcher, to take her home. To forestall arrest, she nurses a plague victim — a gentle, whimsical man who quotes Lewis Carroll. But to know this enemy is to love him . . .

When Finn Shanwing falls ill, he doesn’t intend to hide that he’s a high-ranking commando. Nor does he intend to fall in love with the secretive nurse who saves his life. By the time he reveals to Minta that she saved an enemy officer, it’s too late for his heart — or hers. Also too late to escape the wrath of Watcher, half-human, half-machine, and both halves obsessed with her.

1. Teresa Cypher · · Reply

That description is outstanding! SO easy to visualize, and to wonder along with her. lol

BTW, Effing, that wasn’t really a lol. It was more like a los (laugh out silent). Sleep away!

1. Glad it came across With 3 of my allowed 10 sentences having 2 words each, there wasn’t much room for much description!

2. Carole Anne Carr MA · · Reply

Loved it, great description of the human, and especially the cat’s superior comments…

1. Effing has quite the mouth on him . . . or, since his snark is typed, should that be ‘quite the paws on him?’

3. I want to sleep too, Effin. I want to be like Lou, all bone-dripping, syrupy, warm and relaxed. But, noooo! I have insomnia and I have mosquito bites on my feet which are itching like nobody’s business. I wish I were more like you and Lou.

1. I’m answering your comment at 5:00 am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning and I am most definitely not a morning person, so I know exactly what you mean, unfortunately.

4. Ahhh, that morning after question. Unfortunately for her, I’m assuming not (not that she’d want to miss it had anything happened!)

1. I think if you have to ask and weren’t drunk or stoned, the answer defaults to “Nope, we didn’t.”

5. Hywela Lyn · · Reply

LOL I’m another ‘not morning’ person! Its not that I can’t sleep – just that I’m wide awake at night when I should be tired and half asleep all day when I should be wide awake! Of course if I were a cat, Like Effing, I’d be able to sleep anytime, anywhere! superb excerpt, as always, I felt I was right there with her, although I think I’d have remembered if we’d ,,,,,,

1. I’m an old fart who has left the ratrace, and let me say that coming alive and doing my best writing at midnight is much easier now than when I had to rise at an unGodly hour.

She’s obviously not quite awake to remember what happened. Great snippet!

1. Yep, still confused . . . even if Effing doesn’t understand how that’s possible.

I’m not sure if I want to go back to bed or eat some pancakes after the bone-deep warmth and syrupy relaxation described. In any case, it’s delicious. Well done, you.

1. And that syrupy sense of relaxation has nothing to do with sex, just sleep. Some guys do understand women, maybe?

8. Men don’t always ‘get’ it. Oh my. When my guy tried to understand what’s a big deal, I’d always pinch him first and then a bunch of hugs…or something.

1. True. But I, at least, understand sleep, if not women.

9. Your snippet made me laugh!

1. Sigh. Sometimes I aspire to being seen as a serious artist, but the humor keeps peeking through — and who takes a funny guy seriously?

10. Ahhhh, this snippet does make me want to crawl back into bed. I don’t have a hunky commando to curl up with, but I do have a cat in my lap, which is better. Right, effing?

1. Effing says he doesn’t care about commandos, just laps. Nothing more.

I loved those scenes when she slept (literally) with him. She obviously needs that comfort. So tender. Great description of how she felt upon waking.

1. Tender scenes and innocent, yet hinting at the possibility of something more in the future.

12. Napping is a wonderful idea, Effing. I’ll join you as soon as I post this! I always love reading about the confusion of waking up in bed with a strange man. A hazard you find quite a lot in romance novels. I just hope she can remember what she did..or didn’t do. LOL Nice scene.

1. I’m glad you added “love READING about the confusion of waking up in bed with a strange man.” The personal experience could be quite a different thing. Writing Regencies as you do kind of prohibits using that meme, I imagine.

13. Uh oh…yeah she’s asking herself some good questions there! Very effective snippet and can’t wait to see what she figures out.

1. You may have to buy the book to do so, because this is probably the last snippet from Love thy Galactic Enemy for a while

Great description!

1. Great comment! 😉

15. Emily Wrayburn · · Reply

Uh-oh! I hope Lou hasn’t got herself into too much trouble here.

1. But what fun would that be?

16. So many questions. Did they? 🙂 Wonderful imagery.

1. A couple people have commented on the description/imagery . . . yet there’s rather little of it. I guess sometimes, less is more.

17. Lou is confused or sick herself to get in bed with someone she just hit and has the plague. I bet Finn thinks he is dreaming or illness taking over his senses. Who knows the lack of sleep plus being ill…confusion.

1. She knows she was inoculated against the plague, so that’s not an issue. As for the rest . . . yes, you could say that.