Effing Feline wants to watch #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, dislike television. At least the old-style sets had a warm space on top for a cat to curl up on. Flat-screen TVs, though?  A pox on them!

And as for watching TV, I tried it once. I got myself all set to watch That Darn Cat. Ed told me that if the movie hadn’t been made by Disney, it would’ve been named for me!

Darn movie is more like it. I’ll tell you the heinous details after this week’s commercial.

Love thy Galactic Enemy will be available soon — September 9. The heroine, currently calling herself “Lou,” knocks out a guy she thinks is an intruder, then discovers he’s an innocent (and seriously ill) new roommate.

She mentions a man named Garl, a spy and agent provocateur for her planet. She was his personal secretary until he abandoned her on Farflung Space Station.

One thing seemed certain: she’d be safe in the top bunk. Her ‘roommate’ would never be able to reach her.

Until he recuperated, that was. Nonetheless, she had to help him get better, right? Mostly because it was the right thing to do, but also because a rotting corpse in the lower bunk would mean cops, investigation, discovery, and imprisonment.

Patriotism hadn’t blinded her into thinking Proxima’s medicine was better than Civ Space’s, so the only illness he was likely to have was the manufactured disease Garl’s men had poured into TotCity’s water. Which meant she’d not only attacked him, she’d had a hand in making him ill.

Even if she wanted to be alone, she doubted another room would be available, given the hundreds of refugees flooding Farflung Station, but she would try . . . or maybe not, because he needed help. If she got another room, who would care for him while he was sick?

Effing Feline here again. You want to know what was wrong about That Darn Cat? It starred people, not a plucky feline! Yuck! Do you know any good cat movies I might enjoy more?

Be sure to visit the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Love thy Galactic Enemy

Abandoned to the enemy’s tender mercy

Minta Streave, the naive secretary for a spy team that spread a man-made plague, leaves the planet too late — the team abandons her on the enemy’s space station. She’s must fend for herself until she can contact an elusive spy, Watcher, to take her home. To forestall arrest, she nurses a plague victim — a gentle, whimsical man who quotes Lewis Carroll. But to know this enemy is to love him . . .

When Finn Shanwing falls ill, he doesn’t intend to hide that he’s a high-ranking commando. Nor does he intend to fall in love with the secretive nurse who saves his life. By the time he reveals to Minta that she saved an enemy officer, it’s too late for his heart — or hers. Also too late to escape the wrath of Watcher, half-human, half-machine, and both halves obsessed with her.

Love thy Galactic Enemy is available for pre-order, so reserve your copy now:

1. Effing – have you heard of the movie “Kedi”? It’s a gorgeous documentary about the cats of Instanbul.

Another one I saw recently is The Island of the Cats. It’s Japanese, and truly lovely.

Both of these movies make it clear how important cats are.

1. I’m assuming your understand Japanese, seeing that the trailer for The Island of Cats is in that language. I, however can only manage French or Dutch movies. If they have subtitles, that is.

2. She has her heart at the right place, that’s for sure.

1. She’s a very moral person. That’s a key element of her personality.

3. That Garl sounds nasty. Why did he want to sicken the people on the space station?

1. An earlier snippet (which I wouldn’t expect you to remember) mentioned that there’s an undeclared war being fought, mostly by Lou’s home planet, Proxima. Other books in this series had detailed sorties in the war.

4. Danger afoot, my friend. You have written a doozy scene, so enjoyable.

1. Thanks so much, Charmaine.

I love that we learn so much about her character in this scene. She can’t walk away, especially knowing she might be twice at fault for his predicament. Effing, I don’t really watch cat movies, but I would totally watch one starring you!

1. She makes a lousy warrior in this undeclared war, doesn’t she?

6. Love the line about the rotting corpse! If compassion isn’t the main reason, then the corpse is a great one for sure!

1. Well, to each her own!

7. Teresa Cypher · · Reply

Interesting thought process we’re privy to. A lot of character development. 🙂 She’ll be fun to read. 🙂

1. She has a lot of angst.

8. I love her voice! And her reasoning for the pros and cons of helping out the roommate. Sounds like a very fun character.

Effing–have you tried The Incredible Journey (I prefer the original one). It stars a real cat (there are two dogs, but they are sidekicks–the cat is the star in my opinion) with cameos by humans.

1. Basically, I needed for her to take care of him in their tiny little room for plot reasons. That was the germ from which the story grew, actually. I’m glad the justifications I came up with make sense.

Great insight into her character. She’s on the run, yet willing to help someone else.

That pic of Effing at the top? That’s me at the show. Gotta have that popcorn. 🙂

1. Popcorn used to be the main reason I went to movies.

10. Well she’s thinking intensely here, made me feel wound up just following all her thoughts! An effective snippet, really shows the reader who she is and how she basically tries to do the right thing…except for all the other complications of her life right now!

1. Her life is so complicated it’s hard to know what the right thing is.

11. She must already feel pretty weighed down with guilt for having worked for a guy like Garl. Maybe this is her chance at redemption?

1. I’m glad you can already see what her problem is and where it might lead her. This scene is only in chapter 2.

12. Hywela Lyn · · Reply

Such a revealing snippet, Ed., tells us a lot about her charcter. As for cat movies, sorry,Effing, the only films I can think of offhand star horses or dogs. However – if you were to star in a movie yourself, I’m sure it would break booking office records!

1. Horse and dogs? I’ll try to keep this shameful confession of yours secret from Effing.

She put him in this situation, and I’m sure she’ll do everything she can to help him get better, no matter how much she’d rather not.

Oh, and Effing Feline, have you seen Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey? You might like Sassy.

1. Sassy and Effing . . . based solely on their names, they sound like a match.

14. Effin, if you’re into horror, you might appreciate Cat’s Eye by Stephen King. I don’t imagine you’d like The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe as much. Things do not end well for either the cat or the human–spoilers!
    I hope the fellow gets to feeling better. I worked in health care for most of my working life, so if I were in that situation, I’d be thinking “what, this again?”

1. There are hints that in this future, most diseases have been mitigated, if not conquered. I never develop that thread, though.

Egging Feline would love love Garfield!

1. He would certainly like Garfield’s attitudes, Cathy!

I like that she’s concerned for him. She seems like a good person.

1. A good person in an impossible situation, that’s her.

17. Love her inner thoughts. Gives a great sense of her character. Enjoyed the snippet.

1. As a writer, I’m mostly interested in creating characters, though I love a good adventure, too.

18. Carole Anne Carr MA · · Reply

Being abandoned on a far flung planet? Can’t think of anything worse. Just ❤️ the humour!

1. My sense of the absurd is highly developed.

19. Well, selfish reasons or not, that’s awfully nice of her. Hopefully he’ll appreciate it once he’s recovered 😋

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019, 03:33 Ed Hoornaert (Mr. Valentine) wrote:

> Ed Hoornaert posted: ” I, Effing Feline, dislike television. At least the > old-style sets had a warm space on top for a cat to curl up on. Flat-screen > TVs, though? A pox on them! And as for watching TV, I tried it once. I got > myself all set to watch That Darn Cat. Ed” >

1. It’s been nice writing a ‘good’ person.