Effing Feline tweaks his nemesis #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, haven’t poked fun at my nemesis, Twiggles the dog, for a long time. Every drought must end, however! I’m about to tell you Twiggles’s most humiliating secret — after this message from my sponsor.

Love thy Galactic Enemy will be available September 9. The heroine, currently calling herself “Lou,” knocks out a guy she thinks is an intruder, then discovers he’s an innocent (and ill) new roommate. In the aftermath, he’s confused and half-delirious. He keeps calling her Freya.

He was sitting up now, but when his shoulders slumped his posture brought guilt crashing back. For someone who’d been the personal secretary to a spy and agent provocateur, she was ridiculously squeamish.

“I be so sorra,” she whispered.

His face scrunched into a frown. “Sorra? Where’d you learn to talk like that, Freya?”

Damn; between grogginess and guilt, she’d slipped into the casual dialect of her childhood. “Look who’s talking — jubjub bird, frumious bandersnitch?”

“Bandersnatch.”

“That’s what I said.”

Effing Feline here again. Now to humiliate Twiggles (chuckle chortle snort).

She often — are you ready for it? — takes CATnaps! I think that’s hilarious. Dognap means to steal a dog. Catnap, though, is exactly what Twiggles does throughout the day. That means she’s acting like a cat! Altogether now, let’s laugh at Twiggles!

Be sure to visit the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Love thy Galactic Enemy

Abandoned to the enemy’s tender mercy

Minta, the naive secretary for a spy team that spread a man-made plague, leaves the planet too late — the team abandons her on the enemy’s space station. She’s forced to fend for herself until she can make contact with an elusive spy, Watcher, who can take her home. To avoid arrest, she nurses a plague victim — a gentle, whimsical man who spouts Lewis Carroll. But to know this enemy is to love him . . .

When Finn Shanwing falls ill, he doesn’t intend to hide that he’s a high-ranking commando. Neither does he intend to fall in love with the secretive nurse who saves his life . . . but by the time he reveals to Minta that she saved an enemy officer, it’s too late for his heart. Or hers. Also too late to escape the wrath of Watcher — half-human, half-machine, and both halves obsessed with her.

Love thy Galactic Enemy is available for pre-order, so reserve your copy now:

1. Intelligent dogs take cats as their role models…

Happy Sunday!

1. Spoken like a true ailurophile, Lisabet!

2. Very confusing conversation I have to admit 🙂

1. Well, he’s close to delirious, and she isn’t yet used to his quoting nonsense poems all the time.

3. Carole Anne Carr MA · · Reply

I’ve entered the delightful world of Edward Lear 🤗

1. No, no — Edward Lear doesn’t get quoted until later — he uses the Owl and the Pussycat when he proposes marriage. To start out, this is Lewis Carroll.

1. Carole Anne Carr MA · ·

I’m enjoying it, even if, as yet, a little lost 🤗

2. Carole Anne Carr MA · ·

Having thought about this, the marriage of the couple, with reference to that poem, makes perfect sense 😊

3. I’m so glad. People seem to be finding their dialogue more confusing than I expected.

Hmm, an intriguing snippet!

And my dog cat naps, too. A lot!

1. Aha! Another traitor to his species!

5. In my home, there is one dog, 4 cats plus two chickens although the chickens live next door in a cute little house. So there! Love your snippets, always amusing and kind of weird.

1. I wonder . . . do the chickens catnap, too?

6. I think they both need a rest. I enjoyed the different lingos.
    Our dogs often nap. The 70lb dog wants to be a lapdog.

1. My son’s 60 lb lab is the same way, while 17 lb Twiggles the Dog shuns laps.

7. Keeping up with all the interplanetary slang could be a bit challenging. Fun snippet! (Hey, Effing, don’t tell anyone, but I take catnaps too!)

1. Just be careful, Alexis, that no one dognaps you while you catnap!

8. Hmm, they’ll have a language barrier, between him thinking she’s Freya and her using her old slang on him! Fun snippet indeed…

1. Language can confuse as well as communicate. Imagine conversing with a Brit or Australian (or even a Canadian, in rarer cases) who speaks the same language, like these two do. There’s plenty of room for confusion, right? Now imagine you’re from different planets. But don’t worry. It won’t take these two long to get on the same wavelength.

9. Cara Hartley · · Reply

I think Twiggles knows better than to take anything Effin says seriously. Twiggles looks like a dog who knows what side her bread’s buttered on.
    Personally, I would take being called a frumious bandersnatch as a compliment. They seem to be almost mythical in their fearsome reputation.

1. If she had any idea what the heck he was talking about, I expect she would consider it a compliment. To be honest, though, she’s never aspired to being either frumious or a bandsnatch.

Makes me wonder who Freya is and how important she is to him.

1. Good, because that’s what I want you to wonder.

That’s too funny. Feline tears me up!

1. He’s probably my greatest comedic creation.

12. Hywela Lyn · · Reply

You are so right about language being able to confuse as well as communicate. As I often say to my (American) editor on the odd occasions I disagree with her, we’re divided by a common language! 🙂
    I think ‘Lou’ has got one up on him there though. As for catnapping, my dog Choccy does it all the time, on my lap, usually. I tell him he’s to big to be a cat but he says he wouldn’t want to be one anyway. (Sorry Effing)

1. The bit about being divided by language is so true. Even when people use the same word, they sometimes understand it just a bit different; I noticed that when I moved to the States, even though Canadians and Americans are as similar as two nationalities can be.

13. Loved their snarky banter and curious language. I look forward to more.

1. I’m glad you didn’t find it too confusing.

14. Always love your dialogue, Ed. It lends such unique flavor to the story. And my cats would prefer ‘Dognap’ in this household.

1. Oh come now, Nancy. You know your cats really love the dog, deep down.

15. I really liked this snippet – it was fun and I totally followed the confusion…if that makes sense? 😀

1. Hopefully, more context helps reduce any confusion, because they spend a few minutes trying to figure out what’s going on with the other person. No, I take that back. They spend three quarters of the book trying to figure out the other person.

16. Teresa Cypher · · Reply

I really like this jibberish banter! It makes this scene a lot of fun.

Poor Twiggles.

Ed, I tried three times yesterday to leave a comment. Are they lost in space? If they show up on this post at some point in time, just accept that I liked this snippet so much, I couldn’t quit commenting. 🙂

Maybe it’ll work this time??

1. You mentioned this problem before, and I tried looking into possible solutions . . . without success. I’ll keep trying if you will.

17. Can’t wait to find out who Freya is.

1. Clearly she’s important to the hero (whose name Lou hasn’t learned yet).