Effing Feline discusses beds #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, don’t understand humans. A million things large and small evade even my vast feline understanding. For example, beds.

In today’s commercial for Love thy Galactic Enemy, when a guy enters the heroine’s communal room in the middle of the night, she leaps at him from the top bunk and knocks him out. Top bunk? Fine. I understand the urge to look down on the world. But who needs a separate piece of furniture for sleeping? That makes no sense.

Love thy Galactic Enemy will be available September 8. At that time, you can learn that the guy she knocked out is a new roommate, not an attacker. Oops.

After a few inarticulate sounds, he turned his head toward her and rumbled out, “Beautiful.”

“Huh?” she said, frowning as she tried to understand the slurred word. Then heat flooded her cheeks: “Oh gosh!”

Not yet fully awake, she’d forgotten she wore only underpants.

Spinning away from him, she flung one hand over her chest and made a fist with the other. He did nothing more; no grabbing or pawing. Nonetheless, it took several deep breaths before she could look over her shoulder at him.

“I guess,” she panted, “I owe you one peek, but we’re even now — never again and nothing more, understand?”

“Beware the jubjub bird,” he said clearly, though she must’ve misunderstood. “It attacks.”

Effing Feline here again. As I said, beds make no sense. We cats can (and do!) sleep anywhere. Anywhere, and that’s much cheaper. Laps. Floors. Pillows. Even Buddhas.

Be sure to visit the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Author’s depiction of a mizzet

Love thy Galactic Enemy

Abandoned to the enemy’s tender mercy

Minta, the reserved secretary for a spy team that spread a man-made plague, leaves the planet too late — the team abandons her on the enemy’s space station. She’s forced to fend for herself until she can make contact with an elusive spy, Watcher, who can take her home. To avoid arrest, she nurses a plague victim — a gentle, whimsical man who spouts Lewis Carroll. But to know this enemy is to love him . . .

When Finn Shanwing falls ill, he doesn’t intend to hide that he’s a high-ranking commando. Neither does he intend to fall in love with the secretive nurse who saves his life . . . but by the time he reveals to Minta that she saved an enemy commando, it’s too late for his heart. Or hers. Also too late to escape the wrath of Watcher — half-human, half-machine, and both halves obsessed with her.

Love thy Galactic Enemy is available for pre-order, so reserve your copy now:

1. I absolutely get a kick from your snippets. Keep going, my friend.

1. I hope they don’t kick you anywhere that’s too painful, Charmaine.

2. Hywela Lyn · · Reply

Such a fun snippet, Ed – and who could resist a man who quotes Lewis Carroll? She’s totlly a gonner even if she doesn’t know it yet!

1. I would think Browning or Dickinson would be the poets of choice for women wanting poetry, but hey — it shows he has a sense of the ridiculous.

Looks like they both caught each other off guard. But I’m very curious about his warning. Wonder what he means.

1. I think he’s warning that he is going to quote a lot of Lewis Carroll.

4. Too funny. Loved it !!

1. Anytime you can mention the jubjub bird, it’s funny.

5. Haha. What is a jubjub bird??? This snippet is fun! Nicely done. 🙂

1. What’s a jubjub bird? Clearly your education skipped far too many of Lewis Carroll’s poems.

6. He’s very calm and polite for a man who’s been knocked over.
    Where’s the bandersnatch?

1. Oh, it’s coming, it’s coming.

7. I like the sort of controlled chaos of this scene and the possibilities for almost anything to happen next! Great snippet!

1. ‘Controlled chaos’ . . . I like that description. It sort of describes my writing process, as well.

8. He seems have awoken with his sense of humor intact. Really fun scene, Ed.

1. You’ve gotta like a guy who, upon getting bonked on the head, spouts poetry instead of curses.

Hee! Love the dialogue and the humour you infuse into this scene! I can picture it all so clearly in my mind. While on my vacation, I stayed in an Air Bnb with a bunch of my girlfriends and we all called dibs on the beds we wanted. Naturally, I staked my claim on the top bunk of the only bunk bed in the house. Funny, but no one else wanted it…

1. But did you leap at any of your roommates? I’m picturing Snoopy when he was pretending to be a vulture (although I’m probably dating myself).

Funny and I love Feline, though most of mine like getting in my bed at night though two of them prefer sleeping on me than the bed.

1. You must make a great radiator, Cathy!

11. I must disagree with Effin on this matter. A couple of weeks ago I had a rather awful incident where the bottom dropped out on my blood sugar while my son and I were at the house which is being renovated so we can move in. I got my blood sugar back into normal ranges, but I felt like I’d been hit by a sledgehammer. Seeing as there are no beds in the place yet, I had to roll up my pizza carrier from back when I was delivering food and use it as a pillow so I could lie down on the floor. When I woke up from my nap, my body was so stiff and sore that even my hair ached! This hoomin needs a bed.

1. When I was young and unachy I’d backpack with no pad underneath me, just the tent floor and a sleeping bag. Now that I’m ancient, though . . . I’m with you in the bed!. (Uh, that’s a figure of speech, not a proposition!)

12. Enjoyed the snippet and the unusual greeting of attack.
    Is he issuing a warning or stating she’s the jubjub bird? lol She did attack him but then he may want to attack her for a very different reason. 🙂

1. A lot has to happen (as in, “the author needed enough words to make this a full-length novel”) before they’ll get to that stage. But it’s coming, so to speak.

Fun snippet. Alas, I don’t know what a jubjub bird is. No Lewis Carrol for me.

1. Just for you, then, the opening stanzas of Jabberwocky:

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
      All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
      Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!”

14. Gotta love a literate hero! And a heroine who can brass her way out of an awkward situation.

1. I’m hoping readers love them both.

Thanks for the Jabberwocky stanzas. I didn’t get the reference. Yep, my education is sorely lacking. Tell Effing that while he doesn’t need a bed, those of us at a certain age definitely NEED a bed or we can’t move in the morning.

Great snippet, Ed. I guess there’s enough light in the room for him to see her. Love the banter between them under the circumstances. Looking forward to reading this.

1. By this time, she has turned on the light.