|The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA, Inc.) is pleased to announce the nominees for the 54th Annual Nebula Awards, including the Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation, the Andre Norton Award for Outstanding Young Adult Science Fiction or Fantasy Book, and for the first time, the Nebula Award for Game Writing. The awards will be presented in Woodland Hills, CA at the Warner Center Marriott during a ceremony on the evening of May 18th.
Here are the finalists for best novel, novella, novelette, and short story. Tomorrow you’ll get the rest of the finalists.
- The Calculating Stars, Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor)
- The Poppy War, R.F. Kuang (Harper Voyager US; Harper Voyager UK)
- Blackfish City, Sam J. Miller (Ecco; Orbit UK)
- Spinning Silver, Naomi Novik (Del Rey; Macmillan)
- Witchmark, C.L. Polk (Tor.com Publishing)
- Trail of Lightning, Rebecca Roanhorse (Saga)
- Fire Ant, Jonathan P. Brazee (Semper Fi)
- The Black God’s Drums, P. Djèlí Clark (Tor.com Publishing)
- The Tea Master and the Detective, Aliette de Bodard (Subterranean)
- Alice Payne Arrives, Kate Heartfield (Tor.com Publishing)
- Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach, Kelly Robson (Tor.com Publishing)
- Artificial Condition, Martha Wells (Tor.com Publishing)
- The Only Harmless Great Thing, Brooke Bolander (Tor.com Publishing)
- “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections”, Tina Connolly (Tor.com 7/11/18)
- “An Agent of Utopia”, Andy Duncan (An Agent of Utopia)
- “The Substance of My Lives, the Accidents of Our Births”, José Pablo Iriarte (Lightspeed 1/18)
- “The Rule of Three”, Lawrence M. Schoen (Future Science Fiction Digest 12/18)
- “Messenger”, Yudhanjaya Wijeratne and R.R. Virdi (Expanding Universe, Volume 4)
- “Interview for the End of the World”, Rhett C. Bruno (Bridge Across the Stars)
- “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington”, Phenderson Djèlí Clark (Fireside 2/18)
- “Going Dark”, Richard Fox (Backblast Area Clear)
- “And Yet”, A.T. Greenblatt (Uncanny 3-4/18)
- “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies”, Alix E. Harrow (Apex 2/6/18)
- “The Court Magician”, Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed 1/18)
- and Adam Dolin (Santa Monica Studio/Sony/Interactive Entertainment)
- Rent-A-Vice, Natalia Theodoridou (Choice of Games)
- The Martian Job, M. Darusha Wehm (Choice of Games)
About SFWA, Inc.
The purpose of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America is to promote, advance, and support science fiction and fantasy writing in the United States and elsewhere, by educating and informing the general public and supporting and empowering science fiction and fantasy writers.