Effing Feline gets a Valentine #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, got a Valentine and it was from . . . from . . .

Twiggles the Dog! Not only a Valentine, but a byootiful stuffed heart that’s perfect for digging my kitty claws into. And not only that, it’s filled with, with — catnip!

I don’t know what to say. I didn’t get a Valentine for her. I didn’t even think about giving her anything except more insults. I think about those a lot, I’m ashamed to say. Sigh.

On a brighter note, Ed’s Valentine’s Day sci fi romance, Constellation XXI, has now been released!

Today’s snippet continues from last week’s. It’s the calm before the storm, because we’ve flashed back to the very beginning of her first solo mission, before her ship dies. Ed allows his heroine, Sienna Dukelsky, a brief moment of contentment before she jinxes herself with the fateful words Nothing, absolutely nothing, was going to screw up her maiden flight.”

“Step forty,” she recited from memory, “run automatic diagnostic tests on the scanners and drive systems.”

She ran the tests with a few mental commands then duplicated the diagnostics manually, just in case. Nothing, absolutely nothing, was going to screw up her maiden flight.

Sienna had trained herself not to smile on the job — her favorite instructor had frowned on cadets who smiled, especially female cadets who barely made the Tugship Service’s minimum height and weight — but now she grinned. She thought the command to rotate her chair in an unhurried circle. She drank in the gleaming beauty of readout screens, toggle banks, computer controls, storage compartments, and clocks set to Crassin’s major cities. Everything was in perfect working order, perfect balance . . . including, finally, her life. She sighed with satisfaction and savored the perfection of this moment. Her dreams had come true, even though no one had expected baby sister, the afterthought born ten years after her siblings, to fly the stars.

Effing Feline here again. After getting such a great present, I, Effing Feline, am choked up. Speechless — except to admit, reluctantly, that I kinda, maybe, sorta love Twiggles. Just a tiny bit.

But don’t hold me to it!

Be sure to check out the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Now live — Constellation XXI

Rediscovering Love at the Worst Possible Time

Although Sienna Dukelsky had been the most promising student pilot at Keening AstroSpace Academy, she inexplicably settles for a routine, unglamorous job guiding incoming spaceships to safe berths at Farflung Space Station. Rumors blamed her startling decision on heartbreak after Crispin Hunt, the love of her life, got expelled.

Approaching Farflung years several later, Crispin’s freighter is met by Sienna’s tugship. Love rekindles, though dampened by old betrayals. And when her ship loses power while aimed straight at the space station, Sienna must confront astonishing secrets about Crispin and his cargo—secrets that make hers the most important job in the galaxy.

This book kept me up til 3:30 because I could not put it down.  – Amazon reader

What a nice Valentine for Effing! And congratulations to Ed on your new release!!

I love her determination, but it sounds like her rogue thoughts and memories are going to bring about trouble.

1. The rivalry between Effing and Twiggles needed some sense of closure, and I felt bad that the poor dog was getting such a bad rap.

2. That’s one sweet dog, Effing, considering how you’ve trashed her in public. I hope you’ll be mending your ways. ;^)

Congratulations on the release, Ed!

1. If you can’t win someone over by barking, win them over by being sweet.

3. Awe, Ed, that might be the sweetest love story you’ve ever written–Twiggles and Effing. I like it!

And–a wonderful snippet this week. Congrats on the release. Just bought it. Looking forward to the read. 🙂

1. Their tale (tail?) has it all doesn’t it? Conflict, growth, opposites attracting.

4. Congratulations on your release!

Fulfilled dreams and success often feel sweetest when no one expected them. I love a good dark horse.

1. She has the great satisfaction of proving everyone wrong. Of course, once her sadistic author starts piling on the miseries, she’ll have to prove herself all over again.

“What could possibly go wrong?” Famous last words, indeed. Congrats on the release, Ed. Off to One Click! Awwwww, I knew Efffffing was a softy at heart (behind the claws!).

1. Thanks so much for the one click, Nancy!

6. Aw! It’s the opposite in our house – the new “puppy” chases the cats.
    Congrats on the new release!
    Sienna’s brief moment of satisfaction will no doubt highlight the horrid reality on the horizon.

1. You know how these things work, Aurora. Show us the character’s nice life, then spend the rest of the book smashing her happiness.

We’re nasty people, aren’t we?

7. So glad Effing and Twiggles have buried the hatchet–before Effing could use it! 🙂

Congratulations on your release, Ed!

Never, ever, ever tempt Fate that way. You’re really just asking for it all to go wrong. Great snippet!

1. You mean she shouldn’t savor your moment’s satisfaction?

I love your phrase about burying the hatchet. Very appropriae!

8. Ed, you’ve accomplished all in one fell swoop. I’m so proud of your work week after week.

1. And I’m awed by the way you keep plugging away week after week after week.

9. A great set-up to everything coming crashing down around her ears!

1. And when a SPACESHIP crashes around your ears you’ve got a real problem.

10. Uh, oh, if there’s one thing folk tales and fairy tales have taught us, it’s that contentment is sure to lead to disaster.

Congratulations on the release!

1. Luckily it doesn’t work that way in real life. Without a nasty author to torment us, we’re allowed to feel contentment.

11. She’d better really relish this moment when everything is perfect and in harmony! Loved the snippet and congratulations again on the new release!

1. Thanks so much for always being so supportive!

12. Congratulations on your release!

She really shouldn’t tempt Fate. lol Loved the snippet and feeling it conveyed that all was perfect! For now… 🙂

1. I don’t get too much opportunity to depict moments of contentment. Usually I’m torturing my characters, instead.

13. Cara Hartley · · Reply

Congratulations on the release of the new book!
    I’m still quite sure that any ship powered by thought would crash if I were piloting it with my easily distractible brain. My brain has a lot of anomalies, suffice it to say.
    I’m glad that Effing has made a truce with Twiggles–for now.
    Thank you for visiting us at Naughty Netherworld Press!

1. It’s mentioned that she has trained for nine years for that moment, and that the ship doesn’t pick up on random thoughts, only ones that are ‘formatted’ correctly.

14. “Nothing, absolutely nothing, was going to screw up her maiden flight.”

She’s invoked the space gremlins. Someone protect her!

1. Readers love it when hubris gets struck down.

Egging Frline makes my Sunday lol. Twigged is thoughtful!

Oops Effing Feline my phone went crazy on me

1. “Egging Frline” . . . I’ll have to remember that one and use it sometime. But don’t worry, Cathy, I won’t tell him who first called him “Egging.”

What a lovely moment for her. And a lovely valentine for Effing! Congrats on the new release.

1. You’re right, it’s lovely all over today!

17. I’m glad she’s enjoying herself! 😀

1. She gets a few moments of contentment before the brown stuff hits the fan.

18. Now i wonder about that last sentence. Why not? Interesting snippet.

1. From her point of view, she was just the little nuisance who couldn’t do anything as well as her older siblings.

“…especially female cadets who barely made the Tugship Service’s minimum height and weight ” Sneaky way of saying she’s tiny. 🙂 I thoroughly enjoyed this book (couldn’t wait for more snippets. Good job showing the thrill of her first assignment.

1. I’m glad to hear it, Diane. I’m pretty pleased with how this book turned out.