Effing Feline pronounces Felinism #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, showed my intellectual prowess last week by announcing the birth of a new movement certain to sweep the nation and redefine the Internet — felinism. However, there seems to be some uncertainty about how this new ism is pronounced.

• FEE line ism
  • FEE lin ism
  • Fuh LINE ism
  • Effing ism
  • etc.

I shall reveal the proper pronunciation after today’s snippet from Eds’ NOW LIVE novel, Escapee.

Enemies from the Proxima star system have invaded the isolated mining moon where Catt Sayer, a civilian pilot, makes her living flying supplies on a decrepit airship. She picks up a lone survivor, Captain Dukelsky, who wants her to fly her airship to the far side of the moon to attack the enemy’s base..

Last week, we saw Catt destroy the canon he’d hoped to use to attack the enemy’s base. But as she heads back to her airship, she realizes that he had watched her. Here guilt slams her as she faces him.

As Catt walked toward Dukelsky, she avoided looking at his face, afraid of what she would see around the edges of his respirator. He did or said nothing, just stood there motionless, which keyed her anticipation to the breaking point. She made a wide detour around him, hoping to get inside without facing up to what she’d done.

Guilt weighed down her spirits. Sabotage during wartime…was that treason?

At a personal level, she’d destroyed not just his militaristic bravado, but also his hopes of emerging a hero; she hadn’t touched him, yet she’d hurt him. What would he do to her? Nothing she didn’t deserve, perhaps—but she didn’t want what she deserved. No person honest enough to acknowledge their own faults wanted that.

She wanted him to acknowledge the unfairness of his plan—it was suicide, and it would kill her, as well as him. Above all, she wanted him to recognize her act of sabotage sprang from years of oppression by patroons and was admirably restrained, considering who she was.

Effing Feline here again. Now for the big reveal — how to pronounce that difficult word. It’s pronounced . . . horn-art, with only a slight accent on the first syllable.

Wait, wait — wrong word! My new ism is pronounced fell-in-ism, to rhyme with feminism. NOT to be confused with felonism, you smart alexas!

Be sure to check out the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Escapee

Book 2 in the Repelling the Invasion series

Catt Sayer just wants to survive.  The working-class fugitive delivers military supplies on a decrepit airship, but her hard-won livelihood vanishes when invaders overrun her harsh moon. Even worse, an idealistic, upper-class officer wants her to risk her life on a hopeless trek to attack enemy headquarters – manned by 10,000 soldiers.

Not sure she’s going to get the reaction she wants from him, as much ss she wants him to understand her intentions.

1. You’re right. Do we ever manage to be understood when we act out, or do people react just to our outrageous actions?

2. Thanks for enlightening us, Effing.

Ed, is Escapee available on all book platforms, or just Amazon?

1. It’s widely available on most book platforms. In the past it sometimes happened that iBooks or even Kobo outsold Amazon for a week or so, but that hasn’t happened for ages. Nonetheless, I post my books on multiple platforms.

3. I don’t think she’s going to be happy with his reaction, no matter what she wants or doesn’t want. Her sabotage has hurt him a lot. I’ll be interested to see what he does do.

1. As she says to herself, she doesn’t want what she deserves, and he may want to give that to her.

4. What a tough spot for her to be in. No easy way out and some tough conversations I expect.

1. Because of her background, she’s more afraid of physical retribution than tough words.

5. She’s in big trouble or will he be understanding. Hmm, she may have to face this problem.

1. Considering that they share a small cabin in the airship, she has no way to hide from the problem.

Fun post. I love the Effing Feline!

1. You love nasty, narcissistic cats, eh?

7. Hmmm, a quite a number of challenges in the situation for her! I’ll be fascinated how you extract her from the dilemma and keep them moving forward. Enjoyed the snippet!

1. I’m very happy with the psychological complexity of his reaction and this problem’s resolution.

8. So chucking his cannon was “admirably restrained”? What else might she have done? These two are in for a rough haul.

1. Who knows? Maybe greater mutual understanding will arise out of the canon’s ashes.

9. Wow, this was a fantastic inner dialogue that really builds her character and her relationship. Amazing work! 😀

1. Sometimes when I read something I read awhile ago, I’m surprised. How did I think of that? This passage is one of those.

She’s probably not going to like his reaction. Great inner thoughts as she tries to rationalize what she’s doing. Can’t wait for more.

1. She agrees with you — she’s sure she isn’t going to like his reaction. That’s why she did it, to rile him, but now she’s worried because she’s riled him.

I’d be afraid of his reaction if it were me. He may not understand.

1. She didn’t think quite this far ahead — facing his wrath, I mean — when she set out to make it impossible for him to attack the enemy’s headquarters.

12. She’s really looking at this from all angles. It’ll be interesting to read how he will react. Great snippet.

1. I had fun (and great difficulty!) trying to get his reaction just right.

She’d better be telling HIM these things instead of just us or she’s going to be in big trouble. I’ll be interested to see how he takes her actions and explanation!

1. I think she’s in big trouble regardless.

I wonder if his disappointment/disapproval will hurt her more than his yelling at her. But how will they resolve this? As you say, it’s a small cabin.

1. To your first point: probably not, because they aren’t that far advanced in their relationship. To your second, let’s just say it has major repercussions and isn’t resolved in an hour, or even in a day. But they do get over it.

15. I am laughing out loud. I have so much fun creating words. It is nice to know how your name is pronounced. Effing is happy with her felineism.

1. I try to sneak in the name’s pronunciation from time to time, because for some reason most Americans don’t understand the proper use of vowels in the Vlaams language. Strange, don’t you thing?