Effing Feline puts on a bra #wewriwa

I, Effing Feline, am on vacation. Humans usually mispronounce that word: it should be vay-CAT-yon. I’m visiting my cousin Lee, whom you probably know is a lion. Though he’s terrifying to behold, he’s mellowed lately because of his new girlfriend. He’s just a big ol’ puddytat these days, purring all the time. Check out the photo of the happy couple after the snippet.

New book today!

Alien Contact for Runaway Moms is now live, so if you haven’t already got it, get it. (Yes, that’s an order straight from the cat’s mouth.) But now, I’m highlighting a book that Ed recently got the rights back to, and will be re-releasing in early October with improvements: The Guardian Angel of Farflung Station.

Unlike the near-future Alien Contact for Idiots series, this one is a space opera set in the far future — in other words, more what people raised on Star Wars think science fiction should be. It is perhaps Ed’s favorite book, with his all-time favorite heroine. Every time he edited it to the end, shivers rippled down his spine, and that does not usually happen when he reads his own stuff.

The book opens in the hero’s point of view:

A “travel poster” I made for this book.

Despite the sour economy, Farflung Space Station’s corridors filled up during the evening shift-change. Fleet-footed workers going off-shift jostled slower workers going on-shift.

But folks edged warily around Duke Dukelsky. Not a single person dared bump him.

In a way, he wished they would. He’d rather be treated as a regular guy than a wobble-gobble programmed to explode if touched, but he was the new head cop, not a regular guy. Station folk considered him . . . different.

And maybe they were right. Without warning, his police instincts flared to red alert. That girl dodging through the crowd, the scrawny young one, was up to something. No one but him seemed to notice her, though, so yeah, he was different.

Effing Feline here again. I promised you a picture of Lee with his girlfriend, but I realize now I shouldn’t have. She’s nude. You humans are rightfully repelled by nudity — and I agree, you’re pretty ugly without fur — so I skillfully PhotoShopped a bra on her.

Be sure to check out the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

I’m in the process of getting the new edition up for presale, but in the meantime, here’s the old cover of The Guardian Angel of Farflung Station. A new one will be forthcoming very soon.

Congrats on your new release! And definitely an intriguing start to The Guardian Angel of Farflung Station! 🙂

1. Thanks for the kind words, Jessica.

2. Effing is great with that Photoshop!

I’m looking forward to the new/old book, and the new release. Congrats on both those, Ed.

1. Effing is a cat of many talents.

3. No wonder Lee is happy!

Really looking forward to reading the new/old book.

1. Woman on top — and Lee’s not objecting.

4. Very engaging snippet. I’m already sucked into the story. Excellent job, Ed! I wish Effing a peaceful va-cat-ion full of catnaps and catnip. 🙂

1. “Catnaps and catnip” — you’ve pretty much summed up Effing’s life. Except for snark. That’s a big part of his existence, too.

5. Chris Grover · · Reply

Congrats on the new release, and good luck with the reissue. Farflung sounds interesting.

1. Thanks so much, Chris.

6. A really intriguing start Ed, this sounds like another winner. (I’m about a quarter through ‘Alien Contacts for Runaway Moms’ and really enjoying it.) Effing, you are a wonder!

1. Can’t you think of some darker term to describe Effing?

As always, I’m immediately engaged by your character, Ed. Can’t wait to read more. Hope “Alien Contacts” is doing awesome.

1. Engaging readers is a skill I had to work very hard to learn, so I really appreciate your kind words.

8. You’re a major winner in my eyes. Go get’m, Ed! Delightful scene.

1. Much appreciated. In general, though, I don’t consider myself a major winner, just a moderate winner. For a janitor’s kid from the wrong side of the tracks, I’ve done pretty darned well . . . just not nearly as well as my ambitions soar.

9. Love the beginning. I have a thing for space cops.

1. Then I hope you meet and marry one. Or at least have a wild fling with one. Of course, meeting a space cop is going to be the hard part.

10. Great start for the book! Best wishes on the re-release…enjoyed the snippet!

1. Most of the book is, in my humble opinion, just fine, but a few scenes needed to be improved — and one of them was the very opening. I’m glad you think the new opening is working.

Haha, Effing’s Photoshop skills are as good as mine. 😀 Also, I want you to know that I’ve always pronounced it as ‘vay-cat-yon’. Loved the snippet, of course. Never read one of yours I didn’t love!

1. Is ‘vay-cat-yon’ a Canadian pronunciation, then?

12. Interesting beginning! Let’s see where his instincts take him.

1. Let me tease you further by saying that Duke has marvelous instincts!

Best wishes on the re-release. Nice snippet.

1. It’s nice to have something going on in my writing life, even it it’s just a re-release.

14. People in general are very locked inside their own heads–making plans for the day, and such. So he is special in that he’s actually paying attention!

1. It’s his police instincts that make him special.

15. I want to read more!

And, Effing, congrats on the PhotoShopping. You might have a new career as a cover artist!

1. And are you volunteering to have Effing do the cover of your next book? Brave woman!

I’m curious to know more about how he is so different. Intriguing snippet.

1. He has his idiosyncrasies, but the girl he’s following is the truly odd duck. In the best possible sense, of course.

17. Nice intro to the new story!

1. I’m glad you think it works, Iris.

Congrats on your new release, Ed. Love pre-orders. My copy dropped into my Kindle immediately. Can’t wait to read it. Loved, loved, loved Guardian. How great you got the rights back and are re-issuing it.

1. Someone who actually read it! I added about 10% new words, but no new scenes. Instead, I found that some scenes needed fleshing out, such as the very opening, and the scene where Lockey tells Sandrina about the pirate captain whose crew cut out her tongue.

19. Congrats on the release AND the reversion of rights. I like that his police instincts went off. Even in regular old ‘human’ people, there’s a sixth sense about some things when you’ve worked in the policing industry. Don’t know why. Just does.

1. I think it’s a matter of what we’ve trained our subconscious to notice. When I’m not writing, I’m an orchestral musician (oboe). I don’t have to be paying attention to background music to notice sour intonation or a nice modulation or (most especially) a nice oboe solo. These things pop unbidden into my consciousness, even if just for an instant. I’m postulating here that’s it’s analogously the same for Duke.

20. It is a treat; am laughing out loud! This Lion is fearless as is his new love. Hope she knows about feeding him cat food. Haha! Hehe! Never know what will be next. I adore Lee.

1. If you adore him, he’d probably be willing to give you a ride on his back. Beware the dress code, though; it’s a bare.