Effing Feline ain’t here #wewriwa

I, Twiggles the Dog, am filling  in for Effing Feline. He’s unable to write this week.

Last week, Effing told you he was expecting a visit from his cousin, Lee.  Lee is a lion. The last time he visited, Effing got tired of him eating all the cat food. So he called the zoo. They locked up Lee. This week was their first meeting since then.

Lee likes dogs. I like Lee.

In Alien Contact for Runaway Moms, Tal Pelletier has escorted Audra Verhailey and her baby to the abandoned underground city where he had lived  before his people hopped Kwadra Island to this Earth. After a hard day’s hike, they’re in the the mysterious town, near the end of their trek.

Last week we saw Audra singing to her fussing baby — and when she looks up from Roxie, Tal has vanished.

She jerked to a stop. Panic thudded through her veins. The ‘sky’ cast the same half-light as before, but the lane suddenly felt darker, full of menace. Whatever had snatched him would get her next — and she had absolutely no idea how to save Roxie.

From out of nowhere, a hand grabbed her shoulder.

She yelped and jerked away. Roxie wailed.

Spinning sideways, Audra stumbled. She was going to fall, and there was nowhere soft to land. Rocks, everywhere viciously hard rocks, and she couldn’t keep her balance, she was going down—

Twiggles the Dog here again. Unfortunately for you. Sorry! Effing is funnier than me. He’s funnier than anybody. Funny in the head. Maybe next week he’ll be back from the vet’s.

My beloved Lord and Master, Mr. Ed, wants me to tell you now he has a cover. Yay! Woof! Arf arf arf! (Uh, what the heck is a ‘cover’? Is it like a doggy blankie?)

Check out the other great writers in Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday.

Alien Contact for Runaway Moms

She’s running from an abusive lover…but what is she running to?

When her abusive lover tries to take custody of her baby, Audra flees where even he can’t follow: the aliens’ forbidden cities underneath Kwadra Island. But can the safety she wants for her daughter survive a search party, violent alien criminals—and the love of an emotionally damaged Kwadran?

Tal Pelletier’s life has degenerated into drinking, fighting, and physical labor, but he used to be a brilliant technician. When Audra asks his help sneaking into Kwadra’s abandoned cities, it represents a second chance, because she and her baby remind him of the wife and child he lost. But can he protect them from the killers—and, more importantly, the demons inside him?

Alien Contact for Runaway Moms is available now for pre-order from these fine retailers.

1. I guess in some sense Effing got what he deserved….

1. Do you think Twiggles the Dog will be a good substitute for Effing?

2. No substitute but already I like him. As for your story, excitement, a thrill a minute and fear for your fine characters.

1. What’s not to like about a cute little puppy who only wants to please?

Oh, no. Poor Effing. Did he get what he deserved? My 1st thought was the lion ate him. Look at those teeth! Good to know he’ll be back. Twiggles did a fine job today.

Love the cover! Your excerpt today left me hanging. Shame on you, Ed. I’ll be on pins and needles all week waiting to see what happens.

1. Thanks for the kind words about the cover — and for the birthday greeting on Facebook!

Oh gosh! I have a feeling it was Tal, but he definitely scared her. I hope he’s able to save her and her baby.

1. Although she’s glad to be in the kwayviva, her nerves are on edge, which heightens her fear.

Nice use of atmosphere for mood, Ed! For the Grabbie’s sake, I hope the Grabber is Tal! I think I saw Lee or one of his relatives (not Effing!) at the Potter Park Zoo in Lansing MI this past week. An awesome specimen!

1. So you and Jessica both think this might be Tal. Interesting idea.

6. Great sense of terror and oh ouch! The rocks! Congrats on your cover!

1. I’m pretty happy with the cover. Danielle Fine is great.

7. Dramatic and now i’m all worried she’ll be hurt in this fall! Terrific scene writing 🙂 Great snippet.

1. And the baby, too. She could get hurt in a fall.

That is a literal cliffhanger if there ever was one! I think you’re funny, too, Twiggles. Funny ha-ha and funny peculiar. 😀

1. Poor Twiggles, who just wants to please, gets called ‘peculiar’. Poor dog.

9. I hope Effing is okay.
    We have 2 dogs and 2 cats so it’s never dull.

1. Oh, I get it. You don’t care about the young woman or her baby, just the cat. Sheesh.

10. Well, whoever grabbed Audra, I hope they keep her from falling–that terrain sounds anything but friendly. Wonderful tension and suspense in this scene. Great cover! Danielle Fine does all my indie covers and I love them! I do hope Effing is coming back. No disrespect to Twiggles, but I’m a cat person and I love Effing’s sense of humor. 🙂

1. “I love Effing’s sense of humor.” ??? He has no sense of humor. All he has is ego.

Yikes. A cliffhanger for her and for us. lol

1. Tune in next week, same time, same station . . .

12. I hope Effing is doing well. I rather like him.

Audra, ouch! I hope Tal arrives in the nick of time and does something. Who, or what, is sneaking up on them??

1. Who or what, indeed?

13. Great place to leave her – and us – hanging! Twiggles is sweet, but I do enjoy Effing’s superiority complex.

1. This goes to prove that ‘sweet’ just isn’t as riveting reading as is nasty.

14. Chris Grover · · Reply

Nice cliffhanger. Tell Twiggles a cover is abook blanket. And where is Effing? I hope he’s not sick.

1. I’ll rephrase ‘book blanket’ as ‘book blankie.’ She’s more likely to understand that.

15. Nooooo a cliffhanger!! 😀

1. Yessssss a cliffhanger!

16. Lovely cover and great excert, Ed, thank for leaving us hanging! 🙂 (My first thought was that her grabber was Tal, but on second thoughts I’m not so sure! Poor Effing,hope he feels better soon, I doubt if it will teach him – my little dog’s encounter with a hedgehog didn’t stop him going after them despite the prickles! I like Twiggles, great name for a pup, he seems cute!

1. Twiggles has no tail, so when she wags, her rear end kind of shimmies. My wife described is as twiggling, and the name stuck.

Very tense! Lots of atmosphere.

1. Thanks so much, Elaine.

18. Tense moment, and what a cliffhanger. Great snippet!

1. Breaking a story in ten-sentence chunks makes for cliffhangers where they don’t really exist in the book; you just read on to the next sentence.

19. She’s definitely jumpy. Understandable, but I get the feeling she may be making a mountain of a molehill!

1. Interesting thought.

20. Nice cover, Ed and good cliff hanger.
    I miss Effing. Am I the only one??

1. Amazingly, you aren’t the only one.

21. This was a fun read and I laughed at Lee “eating all the cat food” caused him to be sent away. To Lee, would a Zoo would be prison or a safe haven? You leave us looking forward to next week’s adventure. I love your characters. Hope Effing returns soon. It’s good to see what is happening with other characters. This week was a cliffhanger!

1. What would make Effing turn in a relative to the fuzz quicker than eating all the cat food?

22. Losing my balance and falling on rocks sounds like something I’d do. (I nearly brought my bookshelves down on my last week because I lost my balance trying to step over a dog who wouldn’t move.)