Effing Feline is here. Or not.

I, Effing Feline, haven’t managed to track down any of my sisters yet, but I’ve discovered some cats who are worthy of being related to me. For example, here is science’s most famous feline and a worthy relative for me, a cat who has a science fiction writer for a pet: Shrodinger’s Cat:

Schrodinger’s famous Cat

Oops! She’s not here!   (*See pawnote)

Today, a snippet from an upcoming (December 4, 2017) science fiction romance by my pet human, Mr Valentine: Rescuing Prince Charming. I’m hissed at him for making me introduce this stupid book AGAIN.

You see, he’s been working on the dumb thing on and off since 2015. Do you know how long that is in cat years? No book has ever given him this much trouble, but its third incarnation is FINALLY good enough to be published.

Yeah yeah, sure. We’ll see about that.  But does he think of me? About how hard it is choose fresh, exciting snippets when I’ve done so twice before, back when it was a WIP in smelly diapers?

Hiss, snarl! I don’t think — though how can I be sure? — that I’ve shared the stupid opening of the dumb book, which is now available for pre-order.

Time: Four years from tomorrow.

Place: A top-secret, underground facility on a Pacific Northwest island that doesn’t exist . . . yet.

– – – –

Dusty Johnson really didn’t want to do this.

She took a deep breath, trying without success to dispel the dread clogging her belly. Some women daydreamed of rescuing princes from dragons. Not her.

Yet here she was, all alone, creeping through the dark guts of the half-built starship, searching for a time bomb about to explode. If the siren ordering evacuation of the research facility had summoned the expected herd of guards, she would’ve offered advice then fled with the rest of the staff. Having come this far, though, she couldn’t leave without branding herself a coward in her own eyes.

And so she dodged through shadowy machinery that smelled of oil and ozone.

Effing Feline here again. Mrs V scolded me for calling Rescuing Prince Charming dumb and stupid. She says it’s her favorite of the many books Mr V has written. (He forces her to read them all. What a sadist.) She smells so nice and she has the world’s greatest lap, so I agreed to take back what I said.

Here’s my apology. Rescuing Prince Charmning isn’t dumb and stupid. It’s dupid, instead. Or maybe stumb.

While a laughing Mrs V chases me around the room, be sure to visit the other Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday authors. And now, I gotta run!

* Pawnote: If you aren’t familiar with Schrodinger’s Cat, click for an explanation. And below is a cartoon.

1. I love the reversal from the usual prince rescuing a woman story! You’ve set a great intense mood in the opening lines.

1. I love to reverse roles. Escapee, patterned after The African Queen, reverses the roles, too. The grungy captain is now the woman and the uptight role is the guy. If I ever think of a way to reverse the roles in Cinderella (without making the guy look like a wimp) I’m going to write those roles reversed, too!

Congrats on finishing this story and having it up for pre-order! That’s definitely an intriguing snippet! 🙂

1. I loved loved loved the first third of the book, but I just couldn’t come up with a follow-up that made sense. I think (hope!) the plot is tight enough now.

3. Ed, I totally love this and the cat and the Misses.

1. Everybody love Effing, according to Effing.

4. Ooh yes, I remember this one. Glad you’re finally getting it out there.

1. This shows you’ve been around this blog hop quite a while, Christina.

The greatest cartoon ever!! Love the excerpt and the visuals. “Dark guts” of the ship inspires all sorts images. Great job, Ed. And tell Effing to back off. Some stories just need more time to gel . . . and are so much better for it in the end.

1. Effing doesn’t care if some stories take a long time to gel. In case you haven’t noticed, he cares first and foremost about himself.

6. Great opening! 😀

7. She’s holding herself to a high standard – I like that about her! Great snippet, can’t wait for more.

1. As we learn in the book, she has good taste in lovers, too!

8. kimmydonn · · Reply

The best things are worth waiting and fighting for. Good luck with the release!

1. Thanks, I’ll need it. I HATE marketing.

9. I love your picture of Schrodinger’s cat. It’s stuck in quantum space.
    Your charming story sounds fun.

1. Leave it to the scientist to get a kick out of Schrodinger’s cat.

10. Love the characters and the author’s creativity in bringing them to life.

1. High praise, Chris!

Okay, this is book four in the Alien Contact for Idiots series. I’ve read #3 and #1. Hmm. I guess I need to read #2 and #4.

1. You absolutely do, Andrea! Read #2, Alien Contact for Kid Sisters, first. Although they can both stand alone, #4 revisits several of the characters we first met in Kid Sisters.

12. Okay, you’ve got me hooked. I love role reversal stories.

1. That didn’t take long, Alexis. Just ten sentences.

13. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

Sounds like a nice role reversal. I guess the cat will have to keep trying on his apology.

1. Or keep running fast.

14. I love role reversals too – and I really like Dusty (Note for Effing – our ‘ferel’ stable cat is called Dusty, so does that make you like Ed’s story better?)

1. I’m not sure knowing that a cat is named Dusty would sway Effing. Now, if the cat was named Effing…

15. Now this is a kick-ass heroine! Right out of the chute she’s in the midst of things. Love a spunky heroine! I learned about Schrodinger’s Cat from The Big Bang Theory and it makes me smile each time I hear about it. You should be proud, Effing!

1. Hmm. Are kick-ass heroines timid and fearful?

So the story is dupid, hey? I liked the snippet. Drew me right in.

1. Since “dupid” isn’t in the dictionary, I can define it to mean whatever I wish . . . and I say it means “brilliant.”

17. Sometimes the way we judge ourselves is the harshest standard to live up to! Exciting opening–and good luck with this version!

1. I was going to say that most people judge themselves more harshly than the world does, but a moment’s reflection told me that isn’t necessarily the case.

18. Great intro to the new story. Congratulations on the upcoming release!

1. FYI, you’ll see some of this same text soon on Book Hooks.

19. I love the Effing Feline, she is great :3
    And I really like the idea of the new book too, it’s not dupid at all.

1. Thanks so much for your reassuring opinion about ‘dupid’!