Effing Feline hisses

I, Effing Feline, hate the kitten next door. My sometimes friend, Twiggles the dog, is allowed outside even though I’m not. Yesterday the kitten came right up to the floor-to-ceiling window and drank from Twiggles’ water bowl — and Ed thought it was cute!  He took pictures!

Grr, hiss!

I’m sharing another snippet from Mr V’s sci fi romance, Escapee. After their remote mining moon is attack by enemies, Catt Sayer, the crusty captain of a decrepit airship lands at a destroyed army base to look for survivors.  She finds only one, Hector Dukelsky, a by-the-book army captain.

Her ship, named Escapee, is so old that she can’t possibly be competent, right?  That’s what Hector worries when they take off for the first time. And of course, our friend the skoot is onboard, as well.

Hector studied her from the back — purely out of a desire to learn how to deal with her and not, he told himself, to enjoy the view. She flew the ship with calm assurance and competence. Even when she banged on a recalcitrant piece of equipment with the flat of her hand, she moved with confidence.

She leaned forward in the captain’s chair to reach a device that required more banging. Her angle must not have been right, because she half-stood, giving him an interesting view of her backside.

Another gust tipped the ship. The skoot slid across the floor while its six paws scrabbled on the metal floor. This couch needed seatbelts—and it did, indeed, have them. As Hector buckled up, he speculated on the peculiarities of an environment in which you needed to strap into a sofa.

The skoot leaped onto the couch and quivered against his side.

Effing Feline here again. You know the worst thing about the kitten? Even Twiggles thought it was cute when it drank from her bowl. The little monster can do no wrong!

Be sure to visit the other Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday authors.

Escapee
The African Queen in Outer Space

escapee smallerEdward Hoornaert’s romantic space opera, Escapee, continues the saga of the Dukelsky family (begun in The Guardian Angel of Farflung Station).  If you like The African Queen and the thrill of underdogs finding love while battling a hostile environment, you’ll love Escapee.

Don’t let this rousing adventure escape from you.

1. I liked the little note re the couch with seatbelts. I wonder how he feels about the scoot next to him now.

1. He’s not the one who dislikes the skoot. Catt’s the one who dislikes it.

2. Ed, this is an outstanding story filled with a touch of romance, a critter and the amazing woman.

1. I don’t know about ‘amazing’ (though thanks!), but Catt is a strong, self-taught woman.

3. I like the skoot scooting across the floor!

1. I think Effing is more interested in highlighting the skoot than the people in this series of snippets.

So the skoot is not so scary after all. Great snippet! 🙂

1. It looks scary. It’s personality is adorable — though Catt doesn’t see that yet.

5. I loved this book. But then I always admire stories of strong, competent women, as you would expect!
    And Effing, try a bit of charm. Works wonders. Better than hissing, anyway.

1. Uh, do you really expect Effing to be charming? He’s The Cat Called Ove.

6. “…not, he told himself, to enjoy the view.” Said no male ever. 😉 Great snippet though! Love how it was worded.

1. Hector is very straitlaced, at least at the beginning of the story. As it progresses, he lets his hair down.

7. Love the needing seatbelts on a couch – fantastic concept.
    tweeted.

1. Thanks for the tweet, Daryl!

8. Yeah, I’d be looking around for a parachute at this point, or maybe an eject button on the sofa. Fun snippet!

1. And they haven’t even hit their first storm yet!

Enjoyed the snippet and the great imagery of the couch and seatbelts and critter. And of course, Hector’s casual way of checking out the captain. ‘Purely out of a desire to learn how to deal with her’- uh-huh, right. 🙂

1. You don’t believe Hector is truthful? Tut tut.

10. Hey – I concur with what Amy stated – ‘not to enjoy the view’ said no man ever. Funny, and real.

1. I’m glad you enjoy the irony.

Lots of visual writing in this snippet, and well as insight into Hector’s mind. Nicely done.

1. This is one of the earliest scenes inside her airship, where most of the story’s action occurs, so describing it is especially important.

12. I love the way she flies her ship, with a bang bang here and a bang bang there. No wonder the skoot is alarmed!

1. Yeah, I like that too. The banging is taken directly from the movies that inspired the book, “The African Queen.”

13. Another great excerpt as is to be expected from you, Ed! I love that he watches her from a purely educational point of view – not! Methinks the gentleman protests too much! The Skoot is cute! Perhaps Effing might like the kittie better if it had six legs?

1. The skoot is cute? Just a couple weeks ago everyone was raving how ugly and scary it was.

Great snippet. I loved this book. Talk about pitting two different personalities against each other. And the skoot is cute. LOL

1. And another person who thinks the skoot is cute. It’s an epidemic of cuteness!

15. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

I like Catt very much, and i like the skoot too.

1. Catt is a favorite of mine. Hector, as well.

16. It’s not a great sign when a machine needs to be beaten into working… but I’m loving how confident she is, despite the ship’s eccentricities. 😀

1. Not a great sign at all!

17. I liked the banging on the equipment technique – tells us a lot about her and the ship. Also his attempts to look without looking. Such a great story!

1. The ship has enough ‘personality’ that it becomes a character in its own right.

Effing is expressing my 2 cats’ opinions exactly as new kitten makes himself at home – in their bowls! Great scene, Ed. And not to enjoy the view, indeed!

1. Aside from moms, adult cats frequently have little patience for cute kittens. Witness Garfield and Nermal.

19. A rough ride to be sure. She gives off a Han Solo vibe. Great writing.

1. Han Solo — cool. I love that comparison!

I like that he’s checking out her ‘ass-ets.’ 😉 Love the couch with seatbelts included! Effing, I think you’re the cutest, even cuter than the kitten. I don’t even need to see the kitten’s face to know that.

1. The couch has drawn a lot of attention this week.

21. Sounds like the skoot wants a seat belt too!

1. That gave me an idea. Think there’s a good market for ‘car seats’ for skoots? Maybe I can get rich!