Effing Feline is sleepy

I, Effing Feline, am exhausted.  You see, I stayed up all night kneading my claws on Ed’s leg and chasing a ping-pong ball around his bedroom and playing with him by jumping on the bed to enjoy his startled yelps.  Now, in the glare of daylight, I’m typing this with one eye half open.

Today, another snippet from Secrets of Love and War — the kernel from which the WIP sprouted, actually.  While Mr V was semi-awake in hospital last fall, the nurses seemed, just for an instant, like malignant monsters.

Realizing that this was how a pilot might feel when awakening in hospital after getting shot down over an alien world, the story idea sprang to life. When Mr V told the nurse about his story idea, she laughed.

Norse Malstrom wondered how he’d gotten into hell, but the thought lasted only a nanosecond, vaporized by the nightmarish horror of seeing demons hover over him.

Monsters.

Leaning toward him.

They held gleaming instruments of torture . . . raised them . .  aimed them . . .

Fury filled him.  He slammed his fist into shoulder of the nearest stick-like demon.  It crumpled under his unholy wrath. Another ghoul, its ugly face made of leather and hatred, almost plunged a needle into his thigh but he grasped its evil neck and tossed it like discarded toilet paper at another pair of devils who cowered in the face of his unrighteous human fury.

Then by magic they were gone, vanished into warm, wet air like the supernatural ghosts they were.

Effing Feline here again. I have nothing witty to add.  Too sleepy.  So go away, already, and visit the other Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday posts.

1. Oh you ornery Effing Feline–what would you do if your dad put you in one of his stories ? You too could be a leathery demon 🙂

1. Uh oh, Kathy, now you’ve ticked off Effing! You see, (one of) his delusions is that I’m his pet, not his dad.

What a scary delusion. Great imagery.

1. Thing is, it isn’t a delusion. The poor guy truly is in an alien hospital being tended by alien doctors … but if you mean me, I was in TMC being tenders by great folks who were, I’m pretty sure, totally human.

3. To be in an alien hospital would be truly horrific. Akin to being taken into custody by the North Koreans.

My mom was in the hospital last fall, and at one point, she bit one of the nurses.

1. Was your mom in an alien hospital, then? And if so, on what planet?

4. Wonderfully written passage. Karen is right – the imagery is vivid.

1. Thanks, Alexandra!

It is interesting how an author’s mind can change a simple situation into one so different. Though I can totally understand the interpretation. Great snippet! And I’m sure Mr. V is just as tired as Effing.

1. Yes, writers can make something out of nothing.

6. Wow! Awesome idea for a story. Honestly I’d probably react the same way haha. Great snippet

1. I pity the poor nurses who have to care for you, then.

1. Haha I do too!

7. The beauty of fiction, a story wherever you turn. Be well, my friend. This one is a doozy.

1. To paraphrase Coleridge: Stories, stories everywhere, nor any time to write them.

8. Oh poor Effing. You poor, tired exhausted moggy – er- I mean feline. I should have a good long rest on Ed’s lap, and don’t forget to ‘kneed’ in you dreams, I’m sure he loves the sensation of needles pricking his skin – he might even use it in a story, LOL! Back to the snippet, very creepy, I can’ really imagine anything worse than waking up to find oneself surrounded by aliens wielding ‘gleaming instrument of torture’!

1. Waking up in these circumstances is, perhaps, the occupational hazard of bomber pilots assigned to attack alien planets.

9. Wow, dramatic, and worrisome if I understand you correctly that the ‘monsters’ are actually medical personnel trying to help him! But no matter what, a riveting snippet!

1. You understand correctly — but he’s too injured and doped up to realize their intent.

10. Another sci-fi, with humor yet! Thanks for sharing. ~Keta~

1. Do you write humorous science fiction too, then? Cool!

11. I bet the alien doctors are just as freaked out by him. Still, I hope someone can calm him down enough to get him treated. Effing, go take a nice cat nap and dream of something nice. You’ll awake a happier kitty.

1. You have anticipated the book’s next move. Guess what human is in this hospital visiting her injured clan-sister, Kaushelle, and is about to pass by Norse’s room?

I would think Norse’s wrath would be holy rather than unholy, since he’s protecting himself from “demons.”

1. Interesting point. Since this is a draft, I’ll take it under consideration.

13. Fightening! Great place to build from.

1. I’m glad this passage roused your emotions, Kimberly.

14. Excellent start to a story! Pulled me into the scene with him. Now…where did those monsters go…

1. Fleeing for their lives, they’ve abandoned Norse’s hospital room.

15. Love it! Sounds like my kind of story.

16. Love it! Sounds like my kind of story.

1. THank you than you.

17. This is great–I love when art imitates life, or vice versa. And like your kitty, I am also exhausted — lots going on at work. My kitty likes to jump on me in the middle of the night, too.

1. It’s pretty rare that I can pinpoint the kernel of a story, so this one is a bit of an anomaly.

18. Sounds terrifying- hope he didn’t hurt anyone, since he sounds like a strong guy. Poor, sleepy Effing. I have a similar feline who was busy stomping all over me from 5 am on. Of course now he’s knocked out. Time to give him a poke, I think.

1. Do it, Christina. Give that cat a taste of its own medicine.

19. I can see how an unfamiliar situation could look threatening–the surgical lights, face masks, and surgical tools… all weird and unknown. And trauma/drugs can alter the mind, too.
    Not that I like hospitals much, myself. 😉

1. All the hospital gear can definitely look scary.

20. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

Goodness, that’s a bad situation.

1. That’s what makes it a good story scene, right?

21. interesting scene. i like the descriptions.

1. Thanks for coming all the way from Australia to stop by, Iris.

22. Riveting and fast paced. Absolutely great snippet. Tweeted.

1. RIveting and fast paced … I like that reaction!.

Tell Effing he’s in good company. Long weekend with family. Great snippet. What a scary nightmare.

1. Are you tired because your family kneaded their claws on you and batted a ping pong ball around the bedroom?

24. I’m a nurse; we are malignant monsters.

1. Hmm. Remind me not to go to a hospital where your coworkers work. 😉

25. The ping pong part really stuck out in my mind. Most cats chase yarn or just about anything but ping-pong balls. love it. “Chasing a ping-pong ball around his bedroom and playing with him by jumping on the bed to enjoy his startled yelps.

26. chellecordero · · Reply

I like how the 2 scenarios are so alike!