Effing Feline remembers dad

I, Effing Feline, am taking a break from improving improvements to the English language, but I promise I’ll return to the topic.  Instead, I want to dedicate today’s post to the best cat-goned cat I ever met: Tom.  My dad.

Sniff.  Dear old dad. He went out like a true hero, like a true CAT, taking down seven — no, it was actually eleven! — Rottweilers singlepawedly, after they dared to bark at my mom.  Go for the nose, he always told me as he flexed his claws. Such a brave, heroic puss!

Today, another snippet from Mr V’s WIP, Secrets of Love and War. Las week we saw how pilot Norse Malstrom glimpsed a woman just before his bomber crashed.  Today we see the same scene from the POV of the heroine, Cynthia O’Connor, who is searching for her clan sister, Kaushelle, after getting separated during the bombing.

By the time Cynthia reached the outlook high over the foot of Twisted Lizard Lagoon, her palms were scraped bloody and her chest heaved — not from exertion, but from fear.  She cupped her hands around her mouth and yelled, “Kaushelle!”

The girl was frightened by sounds, by new situations, by strangers.  Poor, lost Kaushelle.  Cynthia turned, shoulders slumped and eyes burning—and then she screamed.

A Terran bomber, trailing smoke, thundered over Twisted Lizard Lagoon toward her.  Through its shattered windscreen, she glimpsed a robot’s head, or a man wearing a fearsome helmet.  The bomber dropped a dark cylinder into the lagoon Cynthia loved so much.

As the bomber roared past like a nightmare, something—A bomb? Wind from the bomber’s flight?—blew her off the pinnacle as though she were a dry leaf.

Effing Feline here again.  Thinking about dad and those sixteen — no, I’m sure it was thirty-four — Rottweilers, I can’t continue typing.  I have to go drown my sorrows about dad in the catnip patch.

1. nice idea to read the scene in her POV. Well done.

1. At this point in the book I’m straddling two worlds — the typical, perhaps stereotypical POV of the valiant soldier, and the civilian affected by the war. Soon enough, the two worlds will merge into one story.

2. That’s such a terrifying situation to be in. I don’t imagine this ordeal will be over any time soon.

1. While the bombing scene won’t last the whole book, the war will.

3. Happy Fathers’ Day, Ed. Poor Effing, your Dad sounds very … Heroic.

Very vivid scene, Ed. All my senses were engaged. Excellent job.

1. As always with Effing, take his word with a grain of catnip.

4. kckendricks · · Reply

Great snippet. Vivid is a good word for it.

1. Yes, vivid is an excellent word. Thanks.

5. What an imagination! It’s always a feast to read your snippets, my friend.

1. And it is equally a treat to read your appreciative comments, Charmaine.

6. As usual, a vivid scene. Well done.

I think effing lies a little.

Happy Father’s Day!

1. Being a narcissist, Effing tends to exaggerate, just wee tiny little bit.

7. Vivid scene with a tense ending. Great job.

A good roll in the catnip will help Effing over his sorrow 🙂

1. There’s that word ‘vivid’ again — third time.

8. Pretty intense scene–great imagery 🙂

1. War is a pretty intense experience.

9. Love seeing the same situation from both point of views. They are so different. Intense. My condolences to Effing and his hero dad. How many rottweilers was it again? 100?

1. I think it’s now up to 179 Rottweilers.

Yikes! Sounds like neither of them fared well in this situation. It was intriguing reading the scene from both POVs! 🙂

1. That is exactly what I’m aiming for, Jessica, that the war scars them both.

11. She’s literally blown away by the hero! LoL

And, what a whopper about Tom cat!

1. I hadn’t thought of this scene in exactly those terms, but now that you mention it, Aurora, I love it!

12. Wow! I didn’t see that coming at the end. I can’t wait for their formal meeting. Are the sparks going to fly because he almost blew her away? Great snippet! And my condolences to Effing, but it sounds like Tom went out in a blaze of glory.

1. Hopefully people won’t be too confused by her getting blown away by the wind cause by the bomb’s blast, shortly to be followed by a drenching because Norse deliberately dropped his bomb in the lagoon rather than on civilian structures.

13. Happy Father’s Day. I’m worried for your heroine!

1. Thanks for the Father’s Day wishes. With four children, I’ve earned them!

14. Dramatic scene and really puts the reader right into the action. SO well done – great excerpt.

1. Thanks so very much, Jean!

So visual and evocative, Ed! You’re right there, seeing and feeling everything she does-thankfully from the comfort of the laptop!

1. It’s amazing what the imagination can come up with — and I don’t mean just mine. I remember reading that The Red Badge of Courage had been described by Civil War vets as the best description of a battle they’d ever read, even though Steven Crane wasn’t a soldier.

16. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

That’s an intense scene.

1. She’ll have a lot to forgive when she’s thrown together with the hero later on.

Terrifying.

1. Maybe I should take up writing horror?

18. Wasn’t expecting that last piece. But that makes it all the more intense.

1. That’s the purpose of the last line, to make her experience the effects of the bombing rather than just viewing them from a distance.

19. Really scary and vivid! Though probably not as exciting as taking on dozens of Rottweilers.

1. Dozens? Hah! By last count in Elizabeth’s comment above, the number of Rottweilers was at 179.

20. You certainly did that, Ed! Poor Cynthia! As always a very dramatic and enjoyable scene. I could visualise it all! Happy Father’s Day, and I hope Effing recovers, he too looks rather ‘blown away’!

1. Effing suffers only from virtual hangovers, which are quite distinct from virtuous hangovers.

You thoroughly engaged me in this scene. Good job. I hope the catnip helps Effing get over his grief. 😉

1. I worry about Effing sometimes. He resorts to the catnip a bit too often.

Absolutely terrifying! Great imagery here.

1. I hope you don’t lose sleep because you’re so terrified.

23. Happy Fathers’ Day and thank you for Effing’s tale. #getsocial17

1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mia.

24. Everything looks so different from her vs his POV. Well done! It’s interesting to see the way the world changes.

1. I’m glad you like it, Caitlin.

25. Creative scene as always, and that photo at the bottom is beautiful! 😀

1. So, you like drunken cats, Amy?

26. Vivid scene. I love showing it from both POVs.

1. Seeing this pivotal moment from both sides kind of rounds out the moment, doesn’t it?