Effing Feline has the heart of a Jedi

I, Effing Feline, sniffed the stench of skepticism and, worse, condescension about my post last week, explaining the feline origins of Star Wars. Woe unto ye of little faith — more proof follows this advertisement for my human pet’s WIP, tentatively titled Secrets of Love and War.

Cynthia O’Connor is accompanying a youthful alien clan sister, Kaushelle, to Peace to All Species Park when war with Earth breaks out. Cynthia struggles through a crowd to drag Kaushelle to the safety — and almost makes it.

As Cynthia and Kaushelle approached the safety of the tunnel that led out of the park’s ravine, something huge screeched out of the sky onto the path ahead of them. The tail assembly of a shattered Terran bomber?

The ground shook.

Dirt flew.

Sentients screamed.

And Elder’s Parang, the park’s largest, most prized tree, planted at the park’s founding nearly four thousand years ago, splintered into the air as though it were no heavier than a wisp-hair seed. Its intricate leaves, proven to quell even the worst fevers, shriveled into foul-smelling flame.

A wave of dirt, debris, and body parts raced across the ground toward Cynthia like an avalanche of war. She tried to grab her clan-sister in a protective bear hug so they would at least meet their deaths together — but fate laughed at her puny efforts. When the wave hit, Kaushelle’s hand tore from her grasp.

Effing Feline here again, with utterly incontrovertible proof that Star Wars originated as a mighty feline epic!

Great imagery! I could see the terrifying moment clearly. And I need to know what happened to Cynthia and Kaushelle.

1. Thanks, Karen!

2. i agree nice description, this one, though, was a bit too detailed “… body parts raced across the ground toward” 😉 And you’re leaving us hanging again …. 🙂

1. You don’t like flying body parts? Gee, I can’t understand why? 😉

3. Amazing writing. So descriptive.

1. I’m always concerned that I convey the emotion that descriptions evoke, so I work hard on them.

Such powerful description! my stomach dropped as if I was there, watching it all happen.

1. Now THAT is the reaction I was going for.

5. Love the line – Sentients screamed. says so much – in 2 words. Great job.

1. Why, thank you very much, Daryl!

6. Sad but effective details about the tree! Really an intense snippet – enjoyed it.

1. One person has expressed concern about the flying body parts. Several are sad about the tree. I guess that, as Kathy says below, this audience is a bunch of tree huggers.

7. Awww not the tree 😦 Reallu vivid sniipet — I’m a tree hugger 🙂

1. Sorry to make you sad!

Well, not really. I’m trying to convey a sense of the destructiveness of war.

8. Thanks for sharing your tease!

1. You’re welcome, Kim.

9. I thought the same thing about the tree. Forget the people, they can move out of the way… Nice snippet, Ed.

1. I’m sure this says something about you, Sue, but I’m not sure what. 🙂

10. The very stuff of nightmares, Ed. I could see Kaushelle’s hand slipping from Cynthia’s grasp… In slow motion. Horrid!

1. War is hell. The next chapter switches to the POV of one of the bomber pilots, and he’s going to be seeing things totally differently.

11. Terrifying imagery. What a powerful snippet.

1. Thanks, Alexis. I’m happy that I terrified you.

12. Fun star kitties!
    But, an avalanche of dirt – how will she escape?

1. It’s impressive, the things some people can get their cats to do. How long did it take those kittens to learn to fly?

What a great description of a terrifying situation. So full of emotion. Good job. The laser sword fighting kittens are great.

I forgot to sign up, but I still posted my snippet. http://dianeburton.blogspot.com/

1. I checked out your snippet, so thanks for pointing it out.

14. Add me to the ones that are upset about the tree.

Great description and a killer cliff-hanger.

1. It’s not necessarily easy to get people to care about a tree, so I’ll take this as a compliment.

Great scene, Ed. Captures the terror of war so awfully (which is a good thing!). Kudos to Effings film choice. My kitties told me quite indignantly that they are lovers, not fighters . . . unless the food bowl is in play.

1. Effing may have a different mindset than your nice kitties. Without fighting, how can he hope to fulfill his dreams of world domination?

16. I feel so bad for the tree! And all the … parts. I was so enthralled, I kind of ignored Effing’s lecture, I mean thrilling tale. Sorry, won’t happen again!

1. Unlike most, you at least mention the body parts.

Love the fabulous feline actors in the video clip.
    Horrible war scene! And the loss of a 4000 year old medicinal tree. Tragic!

1. Tragedy is what I was aiming for, so thanks.

18. Yikes, that’s a very graphic scene – and I’m in agreement about that poor tree. How sad! (Loved the Starwars video too)

1. The tree was actually an afterthought. When it occurred to me, I knew it was perfect in that its age and usefulness provided a sense of loss, and its history tells the readers about how old and stable this alien planet has been.

19. Oh no, that’s awful! Can they even make it out?

1. Stay tuned to find out!

20. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

Nicely descriptive, and I loved the video.

1. Kitten videos are guaranteed to please.

21. I love this line: “A wave of dirt, debris, and body parts raced across the ground toward Cynthia like an avalanche of war.” Outstanding!

No snippet for me this week, Ed.

I dunno about feline origins of Star Wars, but personally, I think that if aliens are already here on Earth, they exist in the bodies of cats. lol

1. I’m glad you like that line, Teresa … but looking at it again, I wonder if “A wave.. raced across the ground” shouldn’t be “A wave … poured across the ground. (I dislike rereading my published works because I always want to edit!)

22. How terrible! Very visceral snippet, really puts you there. 🙂

1. Hopefully readers will really hate what this bombing raid is doing by the time they get to the next chapter in the POV of one of the pilots, who truly is heroic and very competent. Both POVs exist in a war, the heroic and the tragic.

23. Great descriptions!

1. Thanks, Amy.

24. Wow. That was an intense snippet. Love the bit with the tree. That really got me.

1. Lots of tree lovers in the audience this week.