Effing Feline honors his mum

I, Effing Feline, want to honor my mummie. Problem is, I don’t really remember her. Based on the best evidence I have, though — namely her offspring, ME — I can extrapolate what she must look like.  Strong, noble, powerful, like so:

Today, another snippet from Secrets of Love and War, Mr V’s current WIP. We’re continuing where last week’s snippet left off. In response to loud sounds from the sky, Cynthia O’Connor’s clan sister cries “War comes?”

The girl hunched over and covered her earpads with saucer-like hands.  Riksids’ ears were less sensitive than humans’, but Kaushelle was a mere adolescent, and timid.

Cynthia reached for Kaushelle’s arm but lost her balance and splashed to the cold, soft mud, landing on her backside with face raised to the war-torn heavens.  With her ears and mind numbed, vision mushroomed to encompass the world.  The sky above was an opaque sheet of clouds hiding behind the lacelike branches of a gourdwillow tree, with a bright green lorzential dangling from a branch.  Hidden by the clouds, more sonic booms exploded as the unseen enemy invaded the sky.

“So soon,”  Kaushelle screamed, “your people reach us so soon?”

Cynthia pulled one hand from the muck’s embrace, then the other, dripping a torrent of muddy water as she rose.  “Humans aren’t my people, you are—we’re members of the same familium.”  She was Riksid only by adoption, but still…

Effing Feline here again. I just got an IM from an impertinent reader who is undoubtedly a (sneer) dog person. Yes, Ms Smartass, I know I’m a domestic shorthair and the picture is a lioness — but you must admit that the picture capture my heroic spirit!

Secrets of Love and War is a working title that may or may  not last. Here’s the book’s tagline:

The destinies—and hearts—of a nurse and an injured enemy pilot become entangled as they search for the horrifying truth underlying the war between their planets.

The Trial of Tompa Lee is available for free in the
Alien Adventure and Romance cross promotion.

Great imagery and interesting last line. Makes me curious how she ended up being adopted by a Riksid family. And I have to agree with her. She was raised by a Riksid family. That’s who she is too. No matter what blood runs through her veins.

1. You’ve hit on one of the cruxes of the story. Is she Riksid? Or human? During a war between the two worlds, which side should she be on? Will society let her choose, or force a choice upon her?

2. She is human forced to be Riksid. SO there!

1. Yet she’s also delighted to be Riksid, because she admires them so much. It’s not an easy choice.

Great descriptions. I could feel the cold seeping through her clothes. Yuk. And the girls’ fears about war and attack. I think the picture accurately displays Effing’s character.

1. Standing on the shore of a lagoon that’s about to be bombed isn’t the best place to be at the beginning of the war.

Such great description of what’s going on and of Cynthia’s struggle to fit in!

And I think the lioness is a great image of what cats strive to be, so it represents Effing’s mother well. 🙂

1. The lioness is what Effing WANTS to be, but doesn’t always live up to.

5. Lovely descriptions within a tense situation. Lots of interesting questions raised! Great snippet and I for one definitely think Effing’s mama probably was a lioness.

1. Good, good — we like raising questions.

6. Sounds like an interesting family structure. I’d love to learn more about it.

1. As the story goes on, you will, though only incidentally.

7. The description is VIVID – nicely done.

1. For me, it’s the cold, sticky mud that brings the scene to life.

8. Great snippet! Love your descriptions.

1. Thanks, Allyson.

9. Good snippet! Interesting family.

1. The structure of upper class Riksid families is probably the most vivid thing about them in this book.

10. Great scene, and you masterfully weave in Cynthia’s inner conflict without a hitch in the action. Nicely done!

1. Cynthia’s self-identification (is she Riksid or human?) is an important subplot.

So scary to have attackers in the sky–and not be able to see them.

And Effing, your mom MUST be queen of the jungle to give birth to such a regal kitty as you.

2. Agreed about unseen danger from the sky. I pity all those people in World War II who were subject to bombing raids.

About Effing’s ancestry, I’m not so sure I agree!

12. I really like the way you write–so descriptive, but not overdone.

1. I’m delighted you think I’ve found that happy medium!

13. I love the visual as she’s on her back, facing the sky. Very ominous. I’m sure Effing is totally right about his parentage.

1. I hadn’t consciously thought of it, but for an animal, rolling onto its back and exposing its vulnerable tummy is a sign of submission. Is it a stretch to use that as symbolism here?

14. Effing’s mum (or his idea of her) is certainly very regal and I’m sure there’s a (distant) family resemblance!

I think the symbolism of a submissive animal works really well – and I love your ‘voice’ and the description in this short excerpt is brilliant, I especially like “With her ears and mind numbed, vision mushroomed to encompass the world. The sky above was an opaque sheet of clouds hiding behind the lacelike branches of a gourdwillow tree..”

1. Re: The resemblance between Effing and “mum” is all in his head. Re: The description — thanks very much, Hywela!

What a vivid scene! Love the way it imparts information so dramatically.

1. Thanks, Nancy!

16. Great description. She seems to admire the Riksid.

1. She not only admires them, she considers her one of them.

17. Family isn’t just genetics. A great post for Mother’s Day!

1. That’s a good thought to carry away from this Mother’s Day post, even if I didn’t think of it myself.

18. I’ve missed a few weeks while I was off Writing Stuff, but I’m intrigued by this world. The adopting and then the human invasion – so much potential conflict brewing. And gourdwillow – I can just picture that!

Speaking of pictures, I think Effing is absolutely on the mark with his Mama portrait! =D

1. Potential for conflict — that’s what I”m trying to build, so thanks, Shan. As for Effing, you really shouldn’t feed his ego like this.

1. Umm…he’s a CAT. He’s just ego wrapped in fur and pointy bits… with a vibrating feature if his ego is stroked well enough…wait… that sounded naughty, but I really didn’t mean it that way…much.

Methinks it’s time to sleep!

19. Great snippet! 😀

20. Agreeing with the rest — great description. I can’t wait to learn more about this world and its structure — and what the war is about.

1. I’m glad this opening has caught your fancy! Thanks for stopping by.

21. Beautiful descriptions. I hate that she’s related in any way to the people bombing them.

1. As a human living on an alien planet, her relationship with the Terran enemies is complex indeed — and she’ll spend most of the book untangling her feelings and loyalties.