Effing Feline sleeps

I, Effing Feline, enjoyed a vacation this week. No typing. No fighting with my editors. You see, Ed was in hospital for five days, and without my hard taskmaster, I did what cats do best.

I slept.

Today, another selection from The Trial of Tompa Lee. Navy policeman Dante Roussel has turned Tompa Lee over to the Shons for trial for mass murder. Suspecting she’s been framed, Dante is horrified to discover that her trial is a trial-by-combat, with Tompa facing her accusers — all 300 of them. As she is led away, the leader of the Navy contingent orders her people to turn away, leaving Tompa to her fate.

But Dante turned and dashed down the steps, toward Tompa Lee.

Shouts arose even before he reached the powdery dust of the arena. He kept running, expecting with every step a sudden, burning agony to terminate his dash. He’d ignored a Code Magenta. That was an act of mutiny. If he were still in command of the guards, who’d kept their weapons, he’d order them to fire.

Yet he didn’t dodge or weave. He owed the Navy a clear shot at his back even more than he owed Tompa Lee her safety—or, to be more realistic, the small grace of not dying alone.

Effing Feline here again. Be sure to visit the other Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday posts.

Trial of Tompa Lee

Tompa Lee thinks joining the Space Navy is a dream come true, but it turns into a nightmare when she’s framed for murder on an alien planet. To prove her innocence, she’ll have to trust the policeman who betrayed her to cruel alien justice—and defeat 300 aliens who want to slaughter her.

Edward Hoornaert’s science fiction saga begins The Trilogy of Tompa Lee, though each book in the series stands alone.  If you enjoy seeing lowly underdogs overcoming awe-inspiring odds, you’ll love The Trial of Tompa Lee.

1. What have you done to yourself, Ed? Hope you’re feeling better. Dante is a super-brave guy!

1. Bursitis is a much bigger deal than ever I thought, especially when it’s infected.

2. Powerful snippet, Ed.

1. The lead up to this is a long argument inside of him about whether it’s more important to be a team player or to do the right thing.

3. Oh Ed, I hope you’re all right.

1. I’ve got a machine thingy attached to the surgical wound in my elbow for the next four weeks. That officially makes me a CYBORG, right?

That’s no way to get a vacay, Ed!! Hope all is well. Great scene. Love Dante’s motivation here.

1. He’s determined to do the right thing and be a hero, but since Tompa isn’t a shrinking miss who waits around to be rescued, she makes it extremely hard for him to reach his goal.

5. Sending good wishes, Ed, hope everything is ok. Enjoyed the snippet, gives the reader a strong sense about the character and his personal code of conduct.

1. That’s “Ed the Cyborg” to you!

Wow, Dante is a true hero. A great snippet! 🙂

All my best to you! Hope you’re recovering well!

1. It’s Easter and he (emphasis on the lower-case ‘h’) is risen from his own bed for the first time in six days.

7. Nice action sequence.
    Get well soon! I had enough of hospitals at the end of 2015 and last year!

1. As had I, Nancy. What were you in the slammer for?

8. I’m loving Dante in this scene.

And I hope you’re home and on the mend.

1. Although he’s been in the Commerce Space Navy for a long time, he’s never lived up to his own dream of being a hero. Now he’s going for it.

Ed! I hope you’re feeling better.
    Wow, the Shons have a harsh legal system.

1. Harsh, yes, but it fits their herd mindset. Usually the odds are more even, but the 300-to-1 numbers accurately represent the herd’s feelings about Tompa’s guilt.

1. The trial, which takes place on a deserted desert island, will be broadcast around the planet. How Tompa responds to the challenges can either confirm her ‘guilt’ or convince the global herd that their great God of Justice supports her innocence.

10. Great snippet.
    Read your explanation of hospital visit – get well soon.

1. Thanks for the tweet, Daryl!

11. Ed the cyborg! I hope you recover soon! Great snippet! (sorry if this appears twice, I think it didn’t work the first time)

1. Up until the last six months, I’ve been a healthy guy, I swear!

12. I like his conflicting loyalties–but he’s going to have to pick a side eventually.

Feel better soon!

1. He’s in the midst of choosing right now.

13. I hope you feel better soon, and go Dante! 😀

1. Simply getting home after five days makes me feel immediately better.

14. Mr Cyborg! Sorry about the bursitis )-;
    I bet Tompa and Dante wish they were where you are, just now!

Dante has an interesting idea of what is ‘fair’.

1. True. I’m not sure the Navy guards would consider the lack of dodging and weaving to represent a notion of fairness — yet it’s a big deal, with potentially fatal consequences.

If you’re going on vacation, there are better places than a hospital. Hope you’re doing better, Ed. You’ve gotta keep Effing in line. Good snippet. I imagine Dante will get an earful for trying to rescue her.

1. Yes, he’ll get an earful … if he survives his rescue attempt.

16. I hope you’re doing well, Ed, and that you had good nap, feline. I’m trying to decide if that’s bravery or just inevitability… Either way, a great snip.

1. I’m doing better already than Saturday, when I got out of hospital.

17. ameliatreader · · Reply

Infected joints are not fun. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I loved the “not dying alone” line.

1. Thanks for the good wishes, Amelia!

Sending good vibes your way, Ed, hope you’re feeling well soon. Enjoyed the snippet, gives the reader an insight to his character.

1. Dante is a neat character; I enjoyed writing him. He has some brain damage from a head injury reminiscent of the one Tompa has, and that gives him a touch of childlike innocence, even as he’s a big hulking hero type.

19. A bit of conflict here?
    Hope you’re feeling better, Ed.

1. I’m getting better every day. Thanks for asking, Iris.