Effing Feline loves pink

I, Effing Feline, thank you for your suggestions regarding songs about cats.  I am now prepared to reveal my new favorite cat song.  Because I am, of course, a powerful, heroic puss cat, I have not restricted myself to songs about domestic shorthairs.  My new favorite is . . .

Are you ready?

It’s a song I’ve heard Ed, my pet human, playing.  It is . . .

The Pink Panther.

Today is the last snippet from Ed’s Constellation XXI for awhile.  Closer to the release date later this year, you’ll see more.  Tugship pilot Sienna has learned that the captain of the freighter she’s supposed to guide safely to Farflung Space Station is none other than her first lover, whom she’d betrayed to the authorities.  Here she’s about to see him face-to-face for the first time.

Bracing herself, Sienna prepared to face her fate with dignity. She deserved anything Crispin might do.

“Sienna,” he cried as he wrapped his arms around her and drew her into a hug.

Anything, that is, except a hug.  Didn’t he know what she’d done to him?

No, he didn’t know. Her secret would remain hidden; the status quo would endure. But then hope vanished and was replaced by emptiness as frigid as outer space…because the status quo in her heart would also endure.

Yet her secret’s survival was something to be grateful for, right? This mission mattered more than her heart, and the mission would be easier if Crispin didn’t want to kill her.

Effing Feline here again. Because I love it so much, here’s the Pink Panther theme.

The first two books in the Repelling the Invasion series are:

theguardianangeloffarflungstation--thumbnailThe Guardian Angel of Farflung Station

Space pirates think they’ve succeeded in invading Farflung Space Station — but they didn’t count on Sandrina. The attractive young waif has discovered so many of Farflung’s secrets that she’s the most powerful person on the station … though nobody knows it yet.

They’re about to find out.

Escapeeescapee smaller

The African Queen in outer space

Catt Sayer just wants to survive.  The working-class fugitive delivers military supplies on her decrepit airship, but her hard-won livelihood vanishes when invaders overrun her harsh moon. Now an idealistic, upper-class officer wants her to risk her life on a hopeless voyage to attack enemy headquarters – manned by 10,000 soldiers.

1. Yeah, missions are usually a lot easier without someone wanting to kill you.

(I always said that if I ever got married I wanted to walk down the aisle to that song. The Wedding March sounds like a funeral dirge to me.)

1. I can’t imagine anyone marching to the Pink Panther. “Slinking” perhaps, or maybe “stalking”.

2. Today’s snippet made me curious – I will have to go back to catch up on previous snippets.

1. There are only a few other snippets from Constellation XXI (two, I think), so catching up shouldn’t be too onerous.

Oh, secrets! Always a bad thing (but good for the reader!!). Can’t wait to see what you put poor Sienna through. And now I can’t get that song out of my head!

1. Secrets, secrets. The stuff of good fiction, along with conflict.

4. You certainly have me curious about their history, and how it is he doesn’t know she betrayed him.

1. For a long time it had me curious, too. I knew I wanted Sienna’s guilt to undermine her self-confidence right at the time when she needed it most. … but I wasn’t sure what she’d done or why he didn’t know. I figured it out, though.

LOL Thanks for that ear worm!

It’s good that he doesn’t know, but I have a feeling he’ll somehow find out. The guilt is already seeming to eat at her. Great snippet! 🙂

1. The main thing she needs in order to grow is to unload the guilt she’s carried for years.

6. Arghhh – now I’m going to have that song in my head alllllll day.

Hope release day is soon so we can get more of this 🙂

1. I hope that, too … but for this series, it’s up to the publisher. For my Alien Contact for Idiots series, it’s up to me because the books are self-published.

7. Guilt is a heavy cross to bear on a good person. The time of reckoning will come. Lucious snippet, Ed
    BTW, I changed my today’s snippet -Cara’s advice-to boast about my latest release, Chef’s Surprise. Please return to visit once again and give me a chance. Please!

1. “Guilt is a heavy cross to bear on a good person.” That could almost be one of the themes of this book.

8. Mystery and angst for sure….I have a feeling that secret will become known sooner than later. Great excerpt!

1. Her guilt turns even the simplest interaction with him into angst.

9. You are a wonderful writer. I love this sentence:
    …hope vanished and was replaced by emptiness as frigid as outer space…because the status quo in her heart would also endure.
    And Effing, good choice in music. I can just see you sashaying down the Champs Elysee, singing this song!

1. I can come up with pretty prose all day long. It’s stories that are hard for me … and stories are more important. Ah well, we all have our limitations.

10. Is it better that he knows, or not? Sounds like quite a dilemma – lesser of two evils kind of thing. Good for conflict 🙂

1. Yup. It might be better for her to unload her guilt, but worse for her second chance with the only man she’s ever loved.

11. That was not what I expected. That just set the stakes in this game very high, Ed. I hope we get to see how it all falls apart.

1. You probably won’t see it just yet. Once I know about the publication date, maybe.

12. Effing has good taste in music!

1. I’ve always loved this song. Back in school when I played saxophone (poorly), I practiced it over and over.

Sure, things might go a little smoother if he didn’t want to kill her, but I have a hunch the secret she’s carrying will do the job all on its own. Guilt can be one heck of a killer. Great scene.

1. Very insightful of you, Karen.

14. The fact that he doesn’t know is good, but I have a feeling her head is going to get in her way anyway. And thanks for the earworm, Effing!

1. I’d say you have the interior conflict pegged pretty well, Christina.

15. Great snippet–I love reading about secrets and guilt–can’t wait to see what happens. And I love the “Pink Panther” song.

1. Secrets and guilt do make for good reading, as do bad decisions.

Wow, is she surprised. Great snippet. I wonder if he really does know but is leading her on. Secrets and romance. What a combination. Love Effing’s fav song.

1. For years, she has assumed he knew all about her perfidy.

Oh, good. If he doesn’t know she betrayed him, there’s a chance for romance–at least temporarily.

1. A chance, yes .. until he finds out.

Her staying alive would probably help, yes. lol. Love the unexpected hug and her reaction. Excellent song choice, Effing! 🙂

1. If she doesn’t stay alive, there’s no story. So yes, it’s a good thing.

19. I’m glad she got the hug and not whatever she was expecting. Congrats on the release and I look forward to more snippets again!

1. For the moment, at least, the hug is preferable to the alternatives.

20. I appreciate the Effing Cat’s taste in music.

1. The Pink Panther is a great song. It’s wonderfully orchestrated, as well. I’ve heard other versions of it, and they just aren’t the same.

21. That is so rough. She has to keep her mouth shut, but I bet it will eat her up inside.

That’s a great song choice, Effing. 🙂

1. As one of the visitors commented, a guilty conscience wears heavily on a decent person.

22. Haha! @ PT’s comment and your reply, Ed!

I am looking forward to this one! She’s in quite a pickle, eh? 🙂

1. Slinking up the aisle to get married … that sounds like the germ of an interesting story.

23. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

Secrets have a way of coming out, usually at the very worst time. I’m sure he’ll find out.

1. You have to give me leeway to string the discover out for as long as I possibly can!

24. Effing’s favorite song is purrfect for him. LOL I love it too. Intriguing excerpt. Wonder if she’ll be able to keep the secret?

1. Pink Panther seems to be popular with the weekend writing warriors.

25. It’s best to keep thoughts to yourself if they might stir some one to murder. Especially if it’s your murder. 😀

1. Silence is golden … especially if your own murder is at stake.

26. Oh, I have a bad feeling about this.

27. And the character angst begins… Love it!

1. I’ll bet you were the type who pulled wings off of flies. Only figuratively, of course; writers do love torturing their creations.

28. Love The Pink Panther! Great choice, Effing! Wonderful snippet, too. Yes, everything is easier when someone isn’t trying to kill you, for sure!

1. Thanks for stopping by, Elizabeth