Effing Feline has superpowers (Dec 4)

I, Effing Feline, have a lot in common with Jo Beaverpaw, the heroine of Newborn, Mr V’s newest science fiction romance.  You see, although Jo is injured and spends the first half of the book recuperating, she heals superfast.  Not only that, she has superpowers that slowly emerge as she heals.

As a member of the superior race (felines), I identify with superpowers!

In this snippet, Darby Lapierre learns firsthand how incredibly well coordinated she is.  Two days before, he’d shown her  how to play darts, and beaten her thoroughly.  She practices alone and then challenges him to a rematch.

A few minutes later, when I hit twenty to win the game — without missing a single shot — he was only on eight. “I should’ve bet a kiss on the outcome of the game,” I said.

“I’ll never bet against you, Jo.” He shook his head slowly, and his voice echoed none of my playfulness. “How did you do that?”

“I told you, I’ve been practicing.”

He walked to the board, pulled out the darts, and paused, facing away. “No one…” He shook his head. “No, let me rephrase this: no human being could possibly become perfect after only a few days’ practice.”

Effing Feline here again. My superpower is eating. My other superpower is sleeping. I’m an unchallenged champion at both!

Newborn

She was born to kill

Jo Beaverpaw is born fully grown, well-armed, and impatient to tackle her Destiny … which is to kill her alien nation’s most wanted fugitive. Her life is pre-programmed and straightforward – until she meets the sexy bodyguard of her intended target.

newborn-final-2

Newborn is the third exciting book in Edward Hoornaert’s near-future romance series, Alien Contact for Idiots.  If you’re intrigued by the idea that the Schwarzenegger-assassin in the original Terminator could have been a bad-assed (yet petite) female, don’t miss Newborn.

Find Newborn at:

Alien Contact for Idiots, the first book in the series that includes Newborn, is free during this month’s sci fi and fantasy cross promotion. Check it out — and the other great books, as well.

patty-16-12

Sounds like Darby is a little suspicious. Great snippet! 🙂

1. Perhaps even incredulous. This follows along with the question the doctor asked: “What are you?” He isn’t sure of the answer — neither is Jo — but he knows she’s something more than human.

2. Many a true word spoken in jest. Does Darby know she is an alien?

Effing, I know a few cats that would give you a run for your money!

1. Yes, he does, but he also know that while the aliens have super-duper technology, they don’t have super powers. Except, it seems, for Jo.

3. Does she know what she is? Great snippet. I love Effing’s superpowers!

1. Actually, she herself doesn’t know what she is; she’s sui generis (one of a kind) so no one has anything to compare her to.

4. Wonderful snippet, Ed. I love the way you show his mind figuring out what in the outer world might have happened. Exciting!!!!!

1. He’s groping toward 2 things: figuring out what she is, and also how much of a threat she poses to the person he’s bodyguarding.

5. Jo is a fascinating heroine, innocent yet crafty. Darby never should have put a dart in her hand.

1. Good point (no pun intended). I had to finagle a (hopefully) valid explanation of why he’d do this: he found some old darts with very short points so they aren’t dangerous weapons.

I must confess that I’m a bit obsessed with darts. Have you ever watched World Championship Darts on TV? When they hit a triple twenty, it’s like Thunderdome in there! SO exciting! Truly.

Very much enjoyed this excerpt. Have a great week! 🙂

1. I was into darts for several years, though that’s a decade or more in ancient history. Darby started Jo off with a simple game of Around the Clock, so that’s why the talk of her reaching 20 while he’s only on 8.

7. She seems to also be practicing flirting with him – betting with a kiss.

1. Absolutely right — but since she’s so ignorant about everything, her flirting is strangely innocent.

8. I’m wondering about that kiss comment too! Kind of a playful scene and yet dead serious at the end. Great bit of tension, Ed.

Marcia

1. Darby has managed to test her limits without letting her know that he’s testing her.

9. Uh oh, showing off her skills a bit too boldly here. Enjoying the story!

1. She’s so proud (and surprised) by her skill that she expects him to be delighted as well.

10. Darby seems disturbed by her abilities, and it’s not just that he doesn’t like being beaten by a woman. I have your book, but not yet got around to reading it. It sounds intriguing.

PS Effing, I think I could challenge you for the championship of both your superpowers!

1. Oho, Effing — I sense a competition in your future.

11. He didn’t see that coming! 😉

1. Because he’s testing the limits of what she’s capable of.

12. Victoria Adams · · Reply

Hit 20 without missing a shot. I’m happy if I hit the stupid dart board. I’ve hit the wall – the floor – the ceiling (don’t ask).

1. You brought this on yourself, Victoria: HOW ON EARTH DID YOU HIT THE CEILING?

13. angelicadawson · · Reply

Aha! Something is off and he knows it.

1. Because she’s healing super quickly, the doctor has already asked ‘what are you’, so they know there’s something unusual about her. Darby is using darts to test another limit of her abilities.

14. Practice makes perfect. Great snippet

1. There’s a bit of wish fulfillment in this. I wanted to be a good dart player, but I don’t have the arm for it.

Uh Oh! The gig may be up. I so like these characters, Ed. They have such good chemistry (even if it’s not of the same species!).

1. Thanks for the comment about the chemistry. That’s one of the main things I aim for — chemistry between my romantic leads.

16. Ruh roh…she got too far ahead of herself and now he suspects! Love it.

1. She’s not very good at hiding what she is, because she scarcely knows what she is.

He’s very perceptive.

1. Yep. That comes of having been a suspicious cop.

18. Uh-oh, outed by her superior skills. I wonder how he’ll deal with this?
    Funny, my cats have the same superpowers as Effing. Actually, I’m pretty good at those too. Maybe I’m secretly a cat?

1. With a name like Ochs, no way are you secretly a cat. A bird, perhaps? I can imagine some tropical bird squawking out ‘ochs, ochs.’ But a cat … no.

1. Well, it’s literally German for ox. So no, not very catlike. 🙂

I love her naivete. She’s so proud of herself but doesn’t realize how she comes across.

1. That’s exactly what I intended, Diane.

20. She’s going to give herself away! I’m not sure how likely super-assassin is to occur to him, but if she keeps this up, he’ll get (more) suspicious for sure.

1. Yup — more and more suspicious, and he’ll wonder how he can possibly stop her.

Is he figuring things out? Interesting snippet.

1. The interesting thing is that she’s figuring things out at the same time. She doesn’t understand all that is different about her.

22. No chance of claiming it was a fluke, then? Drat.

Effing, I’ve two big kitties that would challenge you on both counts.

1. I don’t think Effing would mind if other cats — heck, all cats — are supercreatures compared to humans.

23. Oops. Never trounce your romantic interest in a game of skill. They get testy.

1. It gets much worse later on — she saves his life, which no self-respecting macho male could ever forgive. Personally, I’d be eternally grateful, but then I have no self-respect.

24. I love the way you show that he suspects something and that he’s not looking at her as he speaks. I wonder if she knows he suspects…

1. Well, she’s incredibly naive but far from stupid.

25. Oh-oh, too perfect! Great super powers, BTW, Effing.

1. Those super powers are indelibly catlike, aren’t they?

26. she’s full of surprises … yet seems to perfect her flirting a little more it seems 😉

1. Yep, she’s learning lots and lots of things.