Effing Feline is a great hunter

Space cat-wewriwa

Fart-Fueled Flying Feline, Effing for short, writes the Weekend Writing Warrior / Sunday Snippet posts on Mr. V’s behalf

Great hunterI, Effing Feline, caught a mouse today.  That makes me a great hunter!  As great as the chap at right, and just as pleased with myself as he is.

In last week’s snippet from the soon-to-be-released Escapee, we saw Catt just before she dumped a cannon off a cliff (which was, unfortunately for her, sabotage in time of war).  Back inside the airship, Hector advances on her, enraged.

We learn later that Catt was a battered woman, so she expects him to beat her. This is one of the first times she really sees Hector rather than the stereotype she imagines him to be.

He speaks first.

“If your female irrationality demands it, go ahead and scream,” he growled. “I’m curious, though—who’s going to charge to your rescue?”

Catt stared into his eyes. The phrase she bored deep into his soul came to mind, but that was meaningless twaddle. And yet something she saw made her stand a little straighter, a little less frightened.

“You,” she said, sounding puzzled and surprised.

“I’m the bad guy, according to you.”

“Yeah, you are, but … you have a soul in there.” She relaxed her defensive posture, her eyes wide with wonder. “Screaming would bring out the gentleman in you and you’d rescue me from yourself … I think.”

Effing Feline here again. Mr V says I have to fess up about my bragging, darn it. The mouse I caught was … well … it was —

Do I really have to admit this, Mr V?

He says yes. Sigh.

The mouse was grandson Wesley’s plush Mickey Mouse. There, I said it–but oh, the shame!

While I hide my face, go read the snippets by other great weekend writing warriors and Sunday Snippets folks.

Sunday Snippets

<<  ===  >>

The African Queen in Outer Space

Catt Sayer just wants to survive.  The working-class fugitive delivers military supplies on her decrepit airship, but her hard-won livelihood vanishes when invaders overrun her harsh moon. And now an idealistic, upper-class officer wants her to risk her life on a hopeless voyage to attack enemy headquarters – manned by 10,000 soldiers.

Edward Hoornaert’s romantic space opera, Escapee, continues the saga of the Dukelsky family (begun in The Guardian Angel of Farflung Station).  If you like The African Queen and the thrill of underdogs finding love while battling a hostile environment, you’ll love Escapee.

Don’t let this rousing tale escape from you.  Pre-order Escapee today at:

escapee smaller

1. This is such a turning point for Catt, Ed. And so understated and yet profound. Very cool!

1. Sometimes turning points are better left understated than trumpeted to the heavens, with exclamation points.

1. That is why it works so well, Ed. Good job

2. chellecordero · · Reply

What a great moment for Catt, I imagine it’s the first time that she has ever felt that amount of security, very nicely done.

LOL, Effing, consider the plush toy practicing for the real thing. You are much more industrious than my 3 lazy felines (who invited the mouse to sit and watch TV with them!)

1. Perchance were they watching Tom and Jerry cartoons?

3. Great moment for Catt. Well done, Ed. I sensed her wonder at the revelation. 🙂

And please tell Effing for me that a mouse is a mouse is a mouse is a … 🙂

1. Yes, being able to recognize that Hector isn’t a battering kind of guy is a big step for her.

4. Interesting. I was not expecting that. Oh, and I think it’s just dandy that Effing got a Mickey.

1. Neither was she. Catt’s transition from a battered woman to a woman who can accept love is her inner journey.

5. She is really having the strangest thoughts. I hope she is not imagining things.

1. LOL. I expect she thinks these thoughts are strange, too.

6. Hi, Effing. Don’t feel ashamed about catching a plush mouse – it still counts. Anyhow, some of those plushies can be devious, dangerous opponents!

Tell Ed that I really like his snippet – I approve of a man who isn’t aggressive towards a woman, even when he could claim to be justified in being so.

1. Thanks, Peter. I suspect that many — maybe even most — men despise wife beaters as much as women do.

7. Good stuff. Hopefully her beliefs come to fruition about him.

1. I’m not at all sure I succeeded in this section (not just the snippet), but her unexpected recognition that he’s a good man keeps him from possibly descending into violence at one of the lowest moments of his life, when she has destroyed his dream of vengeance on the enemy. By his military code, violence was probably justified, because sabotage during time of war is a serious offence.

8. Nice, Ed!! Love how she makes this oh so important discovery! Effing, a mouse is a mouse. No need to apologize!

1. Nancy, you are far too easy on Effing!

9. Love the inner revelation happening here. Very well nuanced character development, well done!

1. Maybe it’s my psychology degree at work, but one of my main interests as a writer is the unexpected ways that people can respond to extreme situations.

10. Such great insight!! And I agree with Steven, wonderful character development.

1. This is a big step for Catt. She’s finally ready to realize that not all men are batterers like Trump’s campaign manager.

11. Loved this snippet. The hair description was top notch, Ed! And the wide eyes . . . very vivid imagery. Do you have any ARCs left? I would love to read and review! sarathreesuns@gmail.com

1. Thanks very much, Sara!

12. bonniegill2 · · Reply

Poor Effing. Why not let him bask in his victory? 🙂
    Loved the blurb. I love how she believes he will save her.

1. Poor Effing?! Who had to pick up the stuffing from the floor, eh? And who pities the poor grandson? And what about Mickey’s pain? What about that? 😉

13. Like the idea he’d rescue her from himself. Great line.

1. Gotta admit, I love it too. Especially since her sabotage of the cannon has driven him to the limits of his self-control, and her recognition of his fundamental decency pulls him back from the brink.

14. BTW, I just preordered Escapee,

1. What an excellent woman you are, Cara. And what superb taste, too.

15. How funny – rescue me from yourself!

1. Lots of contradictions in this passage, I agree.

16. Loved this exchange between them. And I bet she’s right. He can be both bad guy and good guy all rolled into one. That’s what we women want, the bad boy with the heart of gold. 🙂 Excellent snippet!

1. When you put it that way, it sounds much like what lots of men dream about — a prostitute with a heart of gold who will never stray.

17. This was fantastic, and I love that while she seems a little more trusting, she’s still playing safe. Great snippet!

1. Her journey from battered woman to loving woman has just begun.

Congrats on Effing on catching the mouse!

He’s the bad guy, and yet she expects him to save her. Interesting to see her change her mindset about him.

1. I think she’s pretty confused by it all herself. She’s never before dealt with an honorable man like Hector.

19. Cool excerpt, as usual. I wonder if Hector appreciates what just happened for Catt?

Effing, we still think you’re a tough feline, after all what if that plushy had fought back??

Marcia

1. Can one person ever understand another’s heart?

20. Oh, wow. So much of their character revealed in this snippet! I love how she sees the real him and forces him to admit it.

I’m glad the mouse was Mickey!

1. What, you hate Mickey Mouse? What kind of person hates Mickey Mouse? 😉

21. No worries Effing Feline – my feline is currently hassling her yellow, blue and green mouse across the rug.

Great snippet. Love how she saw the gentleman and figures out if she screamed he’d had to save her from him. That’s kinda hard on the brain on a Sunday morning 🙂

1. Yeah, it is kind of subtle. But she’s just now realized that instead of being her enemy, he’s an honorable man.

22. Really great character moment. I hope she’s right about him. I mean, if she really dumped his cannon off a cliff, even a gentleman might behave badly.

Effing, my cat works out daily with a stuffed bunny. You’ve just got to stay in shape for when the real thing invades!

1. You’re right about the provocation of dumping a cannon off a cliff…in time of war, no less. Hector could possibly see it as his duty to persecute … er, prosecute her.

23. Splendid, touching,moving, and well, really nifty. Love. Love, love this snippet. He’s a real man.
    As for effing. . .when our kitten found her first tiny mouse, I said “She made her bones!”
    Now we have YIKES, 5 cats because daughter is getting married and has 2 big dogs. It never ends!

1. Careful what you admit, Charmaine, or I might start envisioning you as a crazy cat lady like my sister.

24. Complicated but very very interesting. Loved the snippet!

1. Not too complicated, I hope.

25. Well, that’s an interesting line of logic. Question is, will it hold up to the test?

1. I’m not at all sure it qualifies as logic. More like an intuition.

26. Interesting revelation – to both of them. Great snippet. Tweeted.

1. Thanks, Daryl!

27. Very nice Ed. She sees a soul. Now we’ll have to see if he knows he has one. Great writing!

1. Well, he’s an officer and a gentleman from a long line of officers and gentlemen (though some of those ‘gentlemen’ were women, like his mother the general). He’d be horrified if anyone thought less of him than Catt does in this moment.

28. I expected it to be a catnip mouse…

I love the interactions between the two characters. Apparently he’s not as bad as either one of them thinks he is.

1. Yes, he’s not that bad — and her ability to recognize that, rather than expecting the worst, is a big step for her.

Love the wonderment in her voice as she realizes Hector isn’t like the image she’s held about all men. Fantastic snippet.

1. That realization is a real breakthrough for her.

30. Interesting logic on her part, surmising that he’d rescue her from himself if she screamed. Nice.

1. The logic is convoluted as well as interesting–but it’s the logic of a battered woman who expects to see warning signs of another beating, and is surprised she doesn’t.

31. Catt is a little naive and trusting maybe. But sometimes gut instincts can prove to be correct. I hope she is right about him, or she might be in big trouble.
    Re Effing, I could do with him at my house at the moment. I have a mouse, but no mouser.

1. If you have Effing at your house, you still wouldn’t have a mouser.

32. I am very intrigued. I think I might have to go back and read through past posts to get a better grasp on Catt.

1. I’m flattered. If you click the ‘Effing Feline’ category at right, the posts about Catt start on February 20. https://eahoornaert.com/2016/02/20/effing-feline-22116/

1. Perfect! After Monday, I’ll have a tiny bit more time. I will be checking out Catt for sure.

33. Looks like she’s dropped her guard and in turn he’s lowered his. Sometimes that’s all it takes!

1. Or at least it’s a first step.

34. evelynjules · · Reply

LOL, this dialogue is fabulous. Loved the ‘rescue me from yourself’ bit especially. 😀

1. It’s the first sign of trust Catt has shown toward him.

35. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

This is a wonderful moment for Catt.

1. Michael Hauge, the writing guru who I’m currently patterning my structure after, says that people in stories fall in love because they see the other person’s inner essence, and they fall in love with that. Catt has just had her first glimpse of Hector’s essence.

36. This is quite heartwarming. Poor Catt! And Effing, like all felines, is a teller of tall tales!

1. Yep — a teller of tall tales and a spitter of furballs.

37. Well I hope she’s right, or she could be in trouble! But I get the feeling she is spot on, no matter how annoyed he might be.

1. She seems pretty confident of her assessment, doesn’t she.

38. I like that it’s not just that she’s suddenly not afraid but that she’s certain of her judgement of his character, she’s backing her own perceptions. Great snippet.

1. It’s taken her a long time to get to the point where she’s willing to trust a man like Hector, and what you just pointed shows how well she’s made the journey.

39. I’m glad she gets to find out that not all men are abusive.

1. It’s a really important realization for her — one that she had to be open to accepting, because it changes her assumptions.

40. I love it … great little dialogue … and her conclusion he’ll help her from him. Well done!

1. Lots of subtext going on that leads her this conclusion.

41. The last line made me chuckle. Great snippet.

1. Yeah, Catt’s “I think” in the last line makes it all a bit iffy, doesn’t it?

42. I love how she adds “I think” on the end of that, as if she’s almost positive he’ll rescue her, but also unsure of and not quite believing of the fact. I wonder what she saw in his gaze or what revelation she had to come to that conclusion as she did. Interesting snippet.

1. She can’t quite believe it. She’s never met a man like him.