Effing Feline loves cartoons

Space cat-wewriwa

Fart-Fueled Flying Feline, Effing for short, writes the Weekend Writing Warrior / Sunday Snippet posts on Mr. V’s behalf

I, Effing Feline, have discovered the most wonderful cartoon every penned. Click the thumbnail below to behold the cartoon and bow down to its ultimate feline truth:

Chickweed Lane

Today I’m selecting a snippet from Escapee, the upcoming science fiction romance by my pet human, Ed Hoornaert (aka Mr Valentine). Mr V likens this book to The African Queen in outer space.  This scene compares to Humphrey Bogart returning to the destroyed mission where he’ll rescue Katherine Hepburn … except the role of grizzled supply ship captain is taken by Catteroon (Catt) Sayers, and she’s about to rescue the hero. Lance is her android copilot.

Never before had Catt gotten to Castle Mountain ahead of schedule. Of course, never before had her last supply stop, Rundle City, been reduced to bloody rubble.

For the last two hundred miles, she’d hidden under the cloud cover, taking advantage of rare calm weather. Now she fought the unresponsive command box to lift Escapee into the clear upper air. When they were free of the clouds, she hesitated before issuing her next command, afraid of what she might see.

“Amplify Castle Mountain.”

“Amplifying Castle Mountain visual,” Lance responded.

Seconds later, after the viewscreen flickered to life, Catt stared at utter devastation. She swallowed hard, hoping her lunch would stay down.

Effing Feline again. Great cattoon, eh?

Make sure you read the snippets by other great weekend writing warriors and Sunday Snippets folks.

1. Ooooh, more please? Tell me about this utter devastation. 🙂

1. My, my, Teresa–aren’t we bloodthirsty today!

2. I’m guessing the mountain has been made into a molehill? Great snippet. I’m hoping for more next week.

1. I don’t know about the whole mountain, but at least the military outpost on said mountain.

3. Oh, this is exciting! I love that she’s going to rescue the hero (which makes her one, too, right> RIGHT!). I say bring on the competent sheroes…I have a daughter!

As for Catt, I don’t think that whatever she sees is going to help her in the least…

1. Sheroes? No way. Ray Shero is New Jersey’s general manager, and I’m a Canuck fan!

1. I’m not a hockey girl (or any other competitive sport, really). Sorry to offend!

There’s just something about ‘heroine’ that sounds less than powerful, and a little too much like an opium derivative….at least to me.

Utter devastation… Well that can’t be good.

1. You are a master of understatement, Karen.

5. chellecordero · · Reply

Rundle City had been reduced to rubble, I imagine Castle Mountain is just as bad — or worse? Great tension built up here.

& Effing, there used to be a TV cartoon called “2 Stupid Dogs”, the felines that permitted us to live with them at that time used to run into the the Living Room from every room of the house and sit in front of the TV as soon as they heard the theme music!

1. I can imagine cats liking a show that labelled dogs as stupid.

6. Mountains of rubble are never a good thing. But heroines rescuing heroes are always great! Love where this is going. 😀

1. Even for me, a guy, having the hero rescue a helpless heroine wouldn’t have had much appeal. Been there, done that.

7. I’m intrigued. You’ve hooked me. And I love the title …Escapee.

I can see where Effing Cat would love that cartoon.

1. Not just Effing Cat, I suspect — any cat.

8. Nice snippet, and definitely a great cliffhanger at the end.

1. ‘Cliffhanger’ has oodles of meaning when referring to a military base built atop a mountain.

9. bonniegill · · Reply

Now I need to find out what happened to Castle Mountain.
    Great excerpt.
    I think I have Effing’s brother Freaking.

1. Ah yes, Freaking — another member of the extended Effing Feline clan.

Not enough sentences here! I need more! Great tease! I’m so curious as to why Castle Mountain has been reduced to rubble.

1. But any more sentences and I might get booted from WeWriWa. As for why the rubble, I can tell you without giving away anything from subsequent snippets: Human enemies from the Proxima star system have invaded the uninhabitable mining moon where Catt plies her trade.

11. I love African Queen, so love this concept!

1. My sister had the same reaction, but then the movie is still very popular. That makes me think I might not have gotten such positive response if I’d based the book on, say, Ishtar.

12. Hmm, hard to keep your lunch down when shock takes over. I guess some terrible war is the reason Castle Mountain is in ruins?

1. You’re right, Frank. As I said in a previous response to a comment, humans from the Proxima system have invaded this uninhabitable moon, which is valuable only for mining.

13. Ed, I’m cracking up from your special treats today. Snippet land hilarity makes my day. What do you do in real life?

1. In real life, I crack up readers of my blog.

To answer your question seriously, though, I’ve been a teacher, oboist, novelist, and technical writer, amongst other things.

14. Utter devastation never good – The African Queen on the other hand – good movie. 🙂

1. Before writing this book I reader CS Forester’s novel the movie was based on. The movie is much superior to the book.

15. Terrific descriptions here, Ed. I love the shift in tone from somewhat humorous to downright devastating. Sounds like a check of a good yarn! (And The African Queen is one of me and my wife’s faves, so props to there!)

1. I bet you wouldn’t be so enthusiastic if I’d based the book on, say, Gigli.

16. Intrigued as to who or what has reduced those places to rubble. Good to hear that it is the woman rescuing the man for a change.

1. To be at all viable as a science fiction romance, this tale simply must have the heroine rescue the man. Luckily, that’s the way I like it, as well, so I’m not pandering.

17. Oh dear, a lot of bad things happening. (Love the idea of The African Queen movie concept translated into SFR 🙂 Excellent excerpt, I was afraid she’d see the mountain destroyed but hoping I was wrong and then…the reveal. But more questions raised of course – well done!

1. Yes, lots of bad things. But that’s good, right?

18. Great hook! I don’t even know the significance of the places yet and already feel terrible that they’re destroyed. And the African Queen comparison is fabulous!

1. The Queen thing gives readers some to relate to instantly. It’s also what made me relate to the idea.

19. Cliffhanger, oh no! You pick the worst places to stop, Ed. Sure hope you continue from there next week.

And hey, my laptop is also named Lance – you have good taste in names 😀

~Marcia

1. You have a name for your laptop? Before I replaced mine’s battery and replaced Windows 8, its name would have been unprintable.

20. Oh no! Where can she land safely?

1. Luckily, airships don’t require much landing space.

21. The best of cliffhangers, Ed!
    She’s experiencing a physical reaction to the utter devastation. It must be truly awful.
    I’ll check in next week to find out what that is.

1. Lots of Catt’s friends used to work at this base.

22. Wicked cliff hanger, Ed! I will be wishing the week away!

1. Wishing the week away? Drink heavily, then.

Nice tension to whet the anticipation for worse things to come! Can’t wait, Ed/1

1. Yes, much worse is yet to come — she meets the hero (and doesn’t like him at first).

24. Oh no! Oh no! Utter devastation? I hope she can keep her lunch down. Great snippet, Ed!

1. Thanks, Elyzabeth!

25. Uh-oh, sounds like (at least) two places reduced to rubble. Makes me wonder by who and why?

I love that comic. The story line is fun, but the random Sunday cartoons are excellent, too. And often cat-focused, as they should be. 🙂

1. Effing agrees with you about that last line.

26. Oh, that made me sad… Can’t wait for next week, but have a feeling it’ll be even sadder. Great snippet!

1. Next week features a big surprise.

27. Very exciting! Who is behind this devastation?

1. The humans of the Proxima star system, who were also behind the invasion of Farflung Space station in The Guardian Angel of Farflung Station. I’m not giving away any secrets here; Catt is aware of this, though not in any snippet you’ve read.

28. historysleuth1 · · Reply

Very good! Great mood set in the scene before the shock.

1. Thanks for stopping by.

29. Great way to set the mood and tension, and make me wonder about the devastation. 😀

1. Landing at Castle Mountain and then getting out to search for survivors is the bravest act that Catt’s ever done, up till now.

30. Great set-up. If this really is The African Queen in outer space, you have a dedicated follower here.

1. Then I have a dedicated follower, Alexis!

31. Utter devastation sounds pretty terrible. I can’t even imagine what’s coming.

And great cartoon Effing. Maybe you could help with that devastation, considering all your powers.

1. The one problem with your suggestion, Linda, is that Effing’s powers mostly cause devastation, rather than fixing devastation.

32. Uh oh… Well, that’s not a good sign to be looking at utter devastation. Trouble is brewing, or it already has. I wonder what she saw of the mountain, or, ah, what’s left of it maybe.

1. I’d call utter devastation trouble that has already brewed.