Effing Feline waits, drooling, at the mouse hole

Space cat-wewriwa

Fart-Fueled Flying Feline, Effing for short, writes the Weekend Writing Warrior posts on Mr. V’s behalf

In my infinite wisdom, I, Effing Feline, chose another ten sentences from Ed Hoornaert’s The Trial of Tompa Lee. In last week’s snippet, Mr. V’s lowly heroine, Tompa Lee, has been framed for terrorism on an alien planet.

Now the trial-by-combat has begun in a cave. It’s Tompa and one aged, working-class Shon against 300 accusers, without even a cat on her side to even the odds. She found a narrow opening to the sunshine, and she’s going to make a stand there as her pursuers exit the cave in single file.

I figure it’s  like waiting at a mouse hole for 300 mice. Murderous mice, but still … yum!

The black eye of the cave glared at her malevolently and the chant blossomed in volume as her pursuers reached the room near the cave mouth. They wanted a fight, they’d get a damned fight.

Tompa half-ran and half-slid to the bottom of the ravine and picked up a grey branch as thick as her arm. Swinging the club so fast it whistled through the air, she scrambled back up the slope.

“Graceful human possesses grandly both intelligence and courage,” said the old Shon.

The implied comradeship in the compliment almost made her want to cry, but there was no time for that. “Do you have any better ideas? Like, if we run, which direction to go?”

“All paths of life lead equally to death, says wisely old proverb. This one stands suggestionlessly in face of a hostile herd, graceful human.”

Effing Feline here again. I hope you love this snippet as much as I do. Can you hear me purr?

Make sure you read the snippets by other great weekend writing warriors.

Ed Hoornaert here. Thanks, Effing, you bloodthirsty soul.

B-Trial paperbackFor these Tompa Lee snippets, I’ve been including info about buying the trilogy, and I’ve gotten a few clicks to Amazon, so thanks to those kind folks who make me feel I’m doing these posts for good reason. But since I hate Buy My Book! posts, no big ads for all three books today.

The first book in the Tompa Lee trilogy is currently free, so click on the book cover at right. End of commercial.

<<  ===  >>

On September 29, join Mr. V on Bitten by Romance’s Tour of the Universe. Prizes galore! Thrilling reads! Gift certificates! Dancing, shirtless men!  (In truth I’m not sure about that last, but since when does advertising have to be accurate?)

Bitten by Romance Tour

1. Go Tompa!
    She even has her own Yoda. Somehow I suspect the old Shon man doesn’t come with Yoda’s moves.

1. You’re right, Kim. Before he retired, Awmit was a roofer, not a Jedi knight. The similarities to Yoda begin and end with old age.

2. I loved “The black eye of the cave stared at her malevolently…” Poor Tompa – a merciless mob and a philosopher to deal with.

1. An old, decrepit philosopher, at that.

3. “All paths of life lead equally to death.”: Unfortunately, this is true. There’s been a new study: life causes death. LOL. I think Tompa will beat the odds this time.

1. Of course she will! She’s still alive in my mind, after all.

4. daezarkian · · Reply

Great excerpt, Ed, I love the old Shon’s voice! And that first line is killer.

1. I’d be tempted to write a fourth book in this series, if only to continue Shon-talk, which I had fun with.

5. I do love this snippet! The old Shon is wonderful, especially with his philosophizing vs Tompa’s action.

1. Awmit is the best alien I’ve written, hands down.

6. I have a suspicion that the combination of action and philosophy might work out well for them. Still, 300 mice? That’s a lot of killing they have ahead.

Oh, your link doesn’t work. I’ll toddle over to Amazon and grab it. Might as well put one more book on my virtual tbr tower and this one sounds like fun.

1. I’ve fixed the link. Thanks for letting me know, Christina.

7. Loved reading about Tompa and Shon. Great proverb at the end. As scary as it is, it’s so true about all paths leading to death.

1. That’s the thing about proverbs. They’re hackneyed, trite–and true.

8. At my advanced age, I cry NO to all the foolish proverbs. Love the Shon. He’s my kinda guy

1. I’m sure he’d like you, too.

9. Those wise old proverbs never seem helpful when meeting your fate! Good snippet!

1. That’s the other thing about proverbs. They’re hackneyed, trite, true–and unhelpful.

10. Well the Old Shon has a way with words but isn’t too helpful! I like your heroine’s spirit, great excerpt.

1. That sentence of yours about sums up old Awmit … except that for a woman who is utterly alone, his friendship means something.

11. Yoda Shon & Tompa stuck together?

1. Thanks for dropping by, Aurora.

12. This one stands suggestionlessly…Love it Ed. And Effing, great choice of snippets!

13. burnsmillie · · Reply

1. I agree about the choice. For a cat, Effing does pretty well.

14. Nicely done! Let’s hope she finds a better use for the old Shon than as an adverb dictionary. She’s got a stick, at least…ugh, the tension has been strung tight here, and I can’t wait to find out what happens. Go, Tompa!

1. Usually I do a separate edit searching solely for -ly words, but I couldn’t do that for this book. You see. Shon verbs all contain an adverb element that describes HOW an action is done. So lots of adverbs.

15. Ha! I like your heroine’s fighting attitude and the Shon’s remark. Good excerpt!

1. Yeah, Tompa never gives up.

Why are the one’s so eager to offer wisdom not so hot with a sword arm? Great interplay between the two characters, Ed!

1. I guess that if wisdom comes with age, swords don’t

17. Fabulous description and you’ve really racked up the tension with the exchange between the two of them. Great snippet!

1. I’m glad it’s working. Thanks!

18. evelynjules · · Reply

I love how you manage to weave so much humor into this excerpt. Very cleverly written, Ed! Nice work! 🙂

1. I wasn’t particularly aiming for humor here; it just creeps in. Awmit is always good for a smile, though.

Great imagery! Love the banter and the lines of wisdom.

1. But don’t you just hate people who offer words of wisdom rather than practical help?

20. elainecsc2013 · · Reply

Yes, effing feline. I love the excerpt.

1. Effing meowed back. I think it was a thank you, but I suppose it could have been a request for tuna fish.

21. Everyone dies. But you may as well try to live! Or at least go down fighting . . .

1. Even on this alien planet, the laws of biology–and death–reign supreme.

22. chellecordero · · Reply

Good for her, she is not backing down. In my far away distant tomboy youth, my dad always said, “if you are going to go down, you better at least take some with you” – she’s fighting the odds but then again she sounds like a real to reckon with.

1. Tompa has two and three-quarters books left in her trilogy, so she has a lot of odds-fighting left to do.

23. I’m rather a fan of cross-cultural collaborations. So, naturally, I love this!

300 may be a lot, but, maybe the Shon can slow then down wordily so that she gets a bit of rest between killings….the floor could get mighty messy here.

Great choice, Effing,and may the mouse hole waiting be worth it! =)

1. I’m sure Effing will find waiting at the mouse hole worthwhile. Even if he catches no mice, he’ll catch a nice little nap.

24. Wow – you snagged me with the opening – had to go back and count – opening 10 words. Great job.

1. Thanks, VIctoria!