Awhile back, I mentioned that my science fiction fantasy manuscript, Alien Contact for Idiots, was a finalist in the On the Far Side Contest. The contest is run annually by the Futuristic, Fantasy, and Paranormal branch of the Romance Writers of America, which is one of the largest writers’ groups in the world with over 10,000 members.
The winners have been announced, and Alien Contact won third place. This was the first writing contest I ever entered, and I’m honored and delighted by this announcement!
… And is also another finalist
When I entered the FF&P contest, I discovered that other branches also ran contests and I figured what the heck: I entered another one. I heard this week that Alien Contact for Idiots is also a finalist in the Golden Gateway writing contest, sponsored by From the Heart, an internet-wide, online RWA Chapter. I think I kinda like these contests.
Alien Contact for Idiots Sample
Interested in reading more? I have posted a draft of the opening of Alien Contact for Idiots.
On the Far Side Contest Winners
Here is a list of the contest winners. My congratulations to you all!
Paranormal (Final Judge: Melissa Singer, Editor, Tor)
- 1st Place: “Dark Bringer” By Mia Celeste
- 2nd Place: “Valhalla’s King” By Asa Maria Bradley
- 3rd Place: “Son of a Wolf” By Laura Welling
Romantic Elements (Final Judge: Liz Pelletier, Publisher, Entangled Publishing)
- 1st Place: “Shadowdemon” Amanda Byrne
- 2nd Place: “Red Tide” Paula Leonard Huffman
- 3rd Place: “Fragile Hearts” Renee Henry
Time Travel/Steampunk/Historical (Final Judge: Deb Werksman, Editor, Sourcebooks)
- 1st Place: “Must Love Breeches” Angela Quarles
- 2nd Place: “The Raven’s Heart” Louisa Cornell
- 3rd Place: “Stalking Horse” Alleyne Dickens
Sci-Fi/Futuristic (Final Judge: Becca Stumpf, Prospect Agency)
- 1st Place: “Arena Dogs: Mercury” Charlee Allden
- 2nd Place: “Sword of Revalmor” Cáit Donnelly
- 3rd Place: “Alien Contact for Idiots” Ed Hoornaert
Young Adult (Final Judge: Kevan Lyon, Marsal Lyon Literary Agency)
- 1st Place: “The Serum Book One: The Journey” Sharron Riddle
- 2nd Place: “The Time Keeper’s Daughter” Jenna Grinstead
- 3rd Place: “Laid Bare” J.D. Haymore
Urban Fantasy (Final Judge: Laura Bradford of Bradford Literary Agency)
- 1st Place: “Evition Eyes” Cassandra L. Shaw
- 2nd Place: “Catalyst” Laura Welling
- 3rd Place: “Violet Sees Red” Katt Lloyd